Thread: Big ol' Diffusion Thread | Post your Diffusion and your results, thoughts

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Big ol' Diffusion Thread | Post your Diffusion and your results, thoughts 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Andrea is a bad ass. She's probably tired of hearing from me by now, but I am grateful for the service. They were the only company that guaranteed me the two initial Satin 1 filters on the day I needed them, and again, for less than everyone else quoted.
    I know this isn't the topic but since I have your attention and you have both...for the life of me I cannot tell the difference between the satin and black satin from the tiffen video...and the only difference in narration between the 2 was that the black satin added a bit of warmth to the halation, which I just couldn't see . Its even hard to see the difference between the satin 1 and 2 from the vid . However, this video has been compressed to hell and back i'm sure.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

2. #2 Big ol' Diffusion Thread | Post your Diffusion and your results, thoughts 
    Title says it all! I have nothing to start it off with but I can say what I own:

Tiffen Satin 1

Tiffen Black Satin 1
    (2.5K Blackmagic)

Tiffen Black Satin 2
    Tiffen Digital Diffusion 2
    Tiffen Black Diffusion 2
    Hoya Duto

Tiffen Ultra Contrast 2 (not diff)

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    I know this isn't the topic but since I have your attention and you have both...for the life of me I cannot tell the difference between the satin and black satin from the tiffen video...and the only difference in narration between the 2 was that the black satin added a bit of warmth to the halation, which I just couldn't see . Its even hard to see the difference between the satin 1 and 2 from the vid . However, this video has been compressed to hell and back i'm sure.
    THe difference is a bit of a "warm/dark" veiling over the image. You see it pretty well in skin and really bright highlights, like sky transitions. I like the Satin 1, The BS1/2 offer something that I kinda noticed with the F35 in that it has this "warm glow" to highlights.

I do prefer the BS1/2, but the Satin1's good for combining with DD2 when you don't want a heavily diffused look to highlights but want the roll off that the Satin 1 offers.

I'm gonna do some a/b/c's as soon as I get someone to look at.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems I got a good combo of the Satin 1 and DDfx2 for my 2.5k then. I got the DDFX2 for the same reason you've said...sometimes I don't want to see the blooming highlights. I should be getting them end of next week .
    Darren Scott

Been thinking of picking up a Satin filter but that means I need to roll with a matte box every time I want to use it.

Are you guys liking the images that accompany it? Im a fan of the halation, although I wish it was a little heavier, like a ProMist 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Vega View Post
    Been thinking of picking up a Satin filter but that means I need to roll with a matte box every time I want to use it.

Are you guys liking the images that accompany it? Im a fan of the halation, although I wish it was a little heavier, like a ProMist 1/4.
    I got the 77mm version Satin. I'm gonna be using my IR+diffusion probably all the time on the lens. Then on top of that I'll have my hoya ND which has the Xume adapters. So its a pretty quick system. I have almost all the Hoya ND line so I don't need to stack ND (because the Xume cant/Shouldn't be stacked). I don't have my diffusion filters yet. End of next week I should though.
    Darren Scott

Same as Darren, I got 77mm for all of my filters aside from the Ultra Con. The day I get a matte box is the day I absolutely need to use a grad... it's fast approaching though.

Just posted two stills from the 2.5K + BS1. The halation, IMO, is perfect for the 2.5K. The 2 is WAY too strong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    I got the 77mm version Satin.
    Woah guys, theres screw on versions?!

Ive been looking at the Tiffen press release and they only mention 4x4/5/6x6 filters. Couldn't find anything via google search either, nor on 2filters site. Did you guys call in?

Woah guys, theres screw on versions?!

Ive been looking at the Tiffen press release and they only mention 4x4/5/6x6 filters. Couldn't find anything via google search either, nor on 2filters site. Did you guys call in?
    2filter.com -- I had the same impression as you until I called around and found 2filter. They went right to Tiffen who makes 1, 2, and 3 in Circular. Ordered those things immediately.

THey're about to close now though >.< You may have to call them on Monday.

Edit: Speaking of, Ultra Con 2 just walked into the room.