Thread: Dropped Frame Footage Recovery? (Solution inside from forum member)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Dropped Frame Footage Recovery? (Solution inside from forum member) 
    Hi there.

Recently shot my first RAW project with the BMCC and ran into the issue of multiple dropped frames. I was wondering if there is a way to recover the footage from before the frames started dropping. Everything as it is now are single DNG's and they won't combine in Resolve, Is there a way to fix that so I at least can salvage some footage?

Sorry if the answers already here, I looked and looked but could not find

Can't help you with salvaging your footage but you definitely want to look into the type of ssd you are using so this does not happen again. I use a kingston hyper x 240gb and a Sandisk extreme 240gb version I not II). And have no issues with Raw. Also during shooting if you see the red "rec" blink that means you are dropping frames. If you saw that it prob would have helped to nip it in the bud.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Ahhh.

Yeah since then I've bought a Sandisk Extreme 480 I. Hopefully it holds up well for me.

Really hope there is a way to recover some of this footage.

You can "fix" the footage by duplicating the frames before or frame after the dropped frame. Then rename the duplicate to the the name of the missing frame. If you are missing multiple frames then you'll need more duplicates to fill the gap.

Now in Resolve the clip will be seen as complete and you can import it. Where the dropped frames were you will now have freeze frames.

Make sure you format you SSD after you copy your clips. Simple deleting them is not advisable. The only SSD that is safe to delete clips is the DigiStor SSD. These have a custom controller that has been designed for in camera use (vs are a hard drive in a computer) and you don't need to format these as they "repair" themselves. I have one that I'm currently testing, trying to get it to drop frames.
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

If it was me and there were a lot of frames to sort through, you could use excel to create a batch dos script to copy the missing frames.
    you can break apart the different fields of the filename to separate out the time and frame number, do a bunch of sorting to make a list of where the holes are,
    then use the concatenate function to create the dos copy commands.

...I know...geek speak, but if you can do it or know someone that could do it, that part wouldn't be too difficult.

FWIW, when i first got my BMCC, (with sandisk 240 extreem I's) I ran it at 30fps for like 8 hours straight, not one dropped frame.
    "Senior Member"???... Really???...
    Not to be taken seriously...by anyone.....

Quote Originally Posted by k Stark View Post
    If it was me and there were a lot of frames to sort through, you could use excel to create a batch dos script to copy the missing frames.
    you can break apart the different fields of the filename to separate out the time and frame number, do a bunch of sorting to make a list of where the holes are,
    then use the concatenate function to create the dos copy commands.

...I know...geek speak, but if you can do it or know someone that could do it, that part wouldn't be too difficult.

FWIW, when i first got my BMCC, (with sandisk 240 extreem I's) I ran it at 30fps for like 8 hours straight, not one dropped frame.
    Wow Amazing. Thank you so much everyone. I'll make sure to try when home.

I'm not sure about your situation, but if you really need to recreate the frames, you may need a program like Twixtor, something that generates a morphing of the frame before and after. This will only work well if there aren't multiple frames sequentially missing. There may be free morphing programs that can fill in the missing image between two frames, if you look around. That would be the best solution, rather than just duplicating a frame so it plays twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    I'm not sure about your situation, but if you really need to recreate the frames, you may need a program like Twixtor, something that generates a morphing of the frame before and after. This will only work well if there aren't multiple frames sequentially missing. There may be free morphing programs that can fill in the missing image between two frames, if you look around. That would be the best solution, rather than just duplicating a frame so it plays twice.
    Hi Joe!

Thank you for your response. I'm not as worried about actually recreating the frame as I am having some salvageable footage to work with before the "dropping" began. My current problem is that in Resolve, unlike in the clips where no dropping occurred, the DNG's are not combining into a single playable clip. I have yet to try, but I fear that I'm not intelligent enough to do the previously mentioned Microsoft excel fix for this problem. If anyone else could share some light it would be greatly appreciated.

errr. give my a day or so...it'll be quicker for me to write something then try to explain how to do it with excel/dos, and i'm feeling generous today.
    hope you're running windows.

Maybe it will help other people down the road.

ok, here you go.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...OLE_FILLER.zip

1) back up your clips
    2) start the exe, agree to the terms.
    3) use 'select clip folder' to pick the folder of the clip, each clip needs to be run separatly
    4) verify that the common part of the clip name has been detested, if not change it accordingly
    5) Click start and wait for it to complete.

There's no error detetion in this thing and I don't handle any case-sensitivity, so hopfully that won't be an issue

PM me if you have any issues. I'm on here usually once a day out of boardom. I'll probably not leave this thing on my DB permanently.

I hope no one else ever needs this..

Good luck,
    Keith

startup, files before, selected clip, after
    jethro-1.JPGjethro-2.jpgjethro-3.JPGjethro-4.jpg