Thread: "Public Beta" of a new LUT from me.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM @ f8 180 5600k ISO200 LCW FaderND MKII

steir, I really like the running stills - great skin tones and a lovely, picturesque setting!

Are the groups of 3 raw>LUT>grade? I prefer the overall contrast of 2 to the more milky blacks of 3, but skin tones seem to benefit from the extra red in 3. Number 3 in each group has an almost HDR look.

Are the blacks going red in 3 because of IR issues? What versions of the LUTs did you use, and did you try Captain Hook's IR correction?

The reds come from my basic CC. I have no idea why the original material has that greenish/cyan look, maybe it's that stupid ND filter?
    I used 'simple 0.7', don't have the IR correction LUT yet. I am quite sure about the LCW MKII introducing IR contamination, but I am not really experienced enough to tell though. Sure the slightly reddish darks are a good indication for that.

The results look good enough, and totally destroy the material we got out of our Sony cams from the same event. I exported these from home to 40Mbit H264, and dialed in contrast later, to 'match' the other shots. Dunno why I always grade so milky, I don't think it's the screen.
    Mostly I would like to know if I got the skintones right on these.

The greenish tint could be just how the BM cams act in film mode (on my BMPCC anyway), and it's certainly a main component of any Bayer-Sensor raw from just about any cam. Was this shot raw? Seems more likely than the ND.

Yeah, I think you nailed flattering skin tones on the final. It's hard to make people look their best when they're exerting themselves like that (except the bronzed dude with the sunglasses on the bike - he's just a prick). All the faces and exposed skin look great to me. You could always dial in the skin in a HLS-keyed secondary node, but that's more time and effort. The good news is there's not a lot of those tones outside of the skin, so it would be a fairly easy key.

Love to see it in motion, if you can show it.

I am a TV guy obviously, so I really miss HFR on my BMCC, would be nice to see 50/60fps in a future update. That said, I feel like these cameras render motion very well, even when you increase shutter speed, it never looks as bad as on a DSLR or something.
    So here I post a lot of moving pictures: Shot out of a car driven by a guy who has no feet, and handheld without any rig (baby mode). I revised the last two shots and lol, they came out blue. Never touch your grades a second time!
    Also I think we should learn to trust the camera a lot more. For that we need good filters and nice glass of course. But for an 'ongoing scene' (no changes in light, temperature) we should really just need 2 grades: one with the sun, one against the sun.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3D...it?usp=sharing

A lot to learn though. I feel like seing colours for the first time with this cam. Am I going crazy?

Edit: Just wanted to add that I shot with just the dreadful touchscreen. Also removed all the motion effects where I leveled the picture.
    Last edited by stier; 04-02-2014 at 04:20 AM.

I think this is all working pretty much how i intended, so if i don't get any suggestions/requests by the end of the week i might push this out as a V1 release. Thanks to all that participated.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

I've made some adjustments today, haven't had time to thoroughly convince myself they're an improvement over V0.7, so please let me know a preference for either one if you can!

4K Cam - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.8.cube
    BMDFillm - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.8.cube
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Any more updates here or are you all finished with it? I use it and like it personally...

Haven't gotten any feedback in a while, and i'm currently in Melbourne and haven't had time to really compare V0.7 to V0.8 thoroughly to make a decision. Might revisit in about a month, but i think it's close to what i set out to do.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

Cap thanks for hard work!