Thread: Follow Focus for Cine lenses?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Follow Focus for Cine lenses? 
    Hi,

Im looking for a FF that will work good with the Samyang Cine lenses.
    Initially I was going to purchase a dampened Tilta or Lanparte FF but beacuse this glass is already dampened this would not be ideal?
    I want a reliable FF that has markers for pulling focus and absolutely 0 play!

Any suggestions?

I have always liked th look of the Edelkrone.
    My first and only FF was a nightmare.. it did the job but it didn't make it easy on me.
    I would set focus and mark it.. next time I try and pull focus to my markings it was completely off!
    I want something reliable... I like the look of the Edelkrone.. but are they reliable.
    I hear allot of praise for the Lanparte FF and was going to go with that..but I think I will be buying Cine lenses (Samyang) so Im not sure how they would work together?

lanparte has zero play and has A/B hard stops.

Thats what I like about it... but how does that work on a cine lens that is already dampened and etc? (Samyang/Rokinon)
    As I understand it the Lanparte is to make DSLR lenses "feel like" cine lenses. So I really want o oknow is ho would the Lanparte work on a Cine lens?

i now use the one by letus and my AC's love it, especially with all the different sizes of barrels today, its a copy of the arri one.
    you can also flip the whoe arm and be ready for nikon, no reversing gear needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadas View Post
    I have always liked th look of the Edelkrone.
    My first and only FF was a nightmare.. it did the job but it didn't make it easy on me.
    I would set focus and mark it.. next time I try and pull focus to my markings it was completely off!
    I want something reliable... I like the look of the Edelkrone.. but are they reliable.
    I hear allot of praise for the Lanparte FF and was going to go with that..but I think I will be buying Cine lenses (Samyang) so Im not sure how they would work together?
    Just go to edelkrones site and watch the video of their follow focus. They designed it specifically to be accurate because the marking disk is attached past the gear box as opposed to most others where its before the gear box which leads to off marks. The video explains it better.
    I like them so much I have two, one for each of my rigs. The focus wheel can be adjusted to different angles that most other affordable FF cannot do which makes it easier if you're pulling focus yourself or if your lens is too high or too low the FF gear can be reach the lens. It has a built in reverse gear for Nikon lenses (non cinema direction to cinema direction) and for one man band stuff its the best around because you can attach it near your hand , angle the wheel to a position to have your thumb ride the focus.

Hey Dreadas dont get it twisted. The samyangs may say "cine" but they are far from cinelenses in mechanics and accuracy or torque needed to turn it. But im not here to bash them as they are good bang for buck. Just wanna say that a decent enough FF will work fine for them. The tilta is dampened however you can dial in how much dampening you want. And its accurate also. Never used the Lanparte but hear its also good. Both have hard stops also and the gear can be mounted on both sides of the tilta if you have shorter lenses.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

still loving this at $98 buck and getting another for second camera.......

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...p-Follow-Focus

If you're pulling focus yourself - get the Edelkrone, if you are working with an assistant go for the Lanparte.
    Rohan Dadswell
    Freelance Lighting Cameraman - www.rotahead.com.au
    BMPC BMPCC
    2 x Panasonic AF-102, 2 x Sony PMW-350, 2 x NanoFlash, Canon 550D, Pana GH3 & GH4, GoPro
    Shed full of lights, lenses, dollies, jibs & other toys