Thread: At last! A decent lens gear.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 At last! A decent lens gear. 
    I know that many of you swear by zip gears and many other types commonly found out there but I've always struggled for a more refined and precise solution within a small budget. I've always found zip gears to slip and other solutions to be somewhat short of what I wanted to obtain from a lens gear. 360 rotation no name one. Same outside diameter to name another.

Enter Sean. An amazing guy (with whom I don't have any sort of affiliation so this is not cheap propaganda by the way).

I've met Sean on Ebay.com coming well regarded from a member at another forum. After more than a dozen emails back and forth just trying to reach the best solution for my needs he began production on a strictly personal design to meet my expectations. Among them was an even outside diameter, even gear width, precise diameter fitting and so on…

I've suggested a rubberised contact with the lens and use of nylon tip grub screws. Sean not only designed the gears with millimetric precision to accommodate the right foam height, he even looked for the right foam type and sent me the gears already with it knowing that I would have encountered serious issues to find that type of foam in my country.

Summing up. If you are after a decent set of personalised type of lens gears Sean is your man. Highly recommended!

Zeiss 1.jpg
    Last edited by naavt; 03-07-2014 at 08:08 PM.

I can second this - I ordered a couple of his premade gears off ebay. When they arrived and were fitted I was so impressed that I contacted him about making some custom rings for my Canon FD lenes.
    Rohan Dadswell
    Freelance Lighting Cameraman - www.rotahead.com.au
    BMPC BMPCC
    2 x Panasonic AF-102, 2 x Sony PMW-350, 2 x NanoFlash, Canon 550D, Pana GH3 & GH4, GoPro
    Shed full of lights, lenses, dollies, jibs & other toys

Got excited for a second when i glanced at the title at last.. thought it was news regarding metabones ef to mft. guess im gonna go back to coloring. hahahah

can you post the link to his ebay store?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by townio View Post
    can you post the link to his ebay store?
    thanks
    Here you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/helicoptersean

All my lens gears are 360 degree. I have 4 Gini, 4 Cinevate (smaller ones), one old Shot35 (before they changer there design), and one custom made one by JBK Cinequipt.

sean has made gears for me.
    the guy has the best customer service as he took good care of me.
    for the quality and price, it cant be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@202020 View Post
    All my lens gears are 360 degree. I have 4 Gini, 4 Cinevate (smaller ones), one old Shot35 (before they changer there design), and one custom made one by JBK Cinequipt.
    JBK Cinequipt's lens gears are great. Best I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by naavt View Post
    phew, same guy!
    i ordered these for my zeiss contax last week and they should be here soon!
    what other ones have people have him make?
    helios 58mm by chance?

These look great. But these wont extend the focus throw alot (if any). So personally not for me. I got cinematics lens gears with the "feet". It makes the damn lens big though and a pain to put in the bag and ugly (to me), but functionality is whats important to me and the extend my focus throw alot. My nikon 50mm and rokinon 85 focus throw feel like real cine glass. LONG focus throw. The zf line has decent focus though already but add the gears with 'feet' and it would make it amazing to work with.
    Attached Images
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos