Thread: Coffee Shop Council (BMPCC + Metabones Speed Booster)

1. #1 Coffee Shop Council (BMPCC + Metabones Speed Booster) 

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema with Metabones Nikon to BMPCC Speed Booster

This was filmed for testing BMPCC in RAW mode with the Metabones Speed Booster coupled with Nikon lenses and to see how it grades in Adobe Camera Raw. The scene could have had a better selection of color though -- not too keen about yellow and brown backgrounds when grading but it turned out ok even though lacking of separate lighting for the scene. The background led lamp on the window sill caused some flickering. Both Tokina 11-16mm and Nikon 35mm did great with the speed booster in the available light, but the zoom lens Nikon 18-70mm needed to be run in ASA1600 which brings up the grain too much.

Lenses used :
    Nikon AF-S 35mm 1.8G
    Tokina SD 11-16 F2.8 DX
    Nikon AF-S 18-70 3.5-4.5G

Learned a few things on this one. The material turns out shaky so can't really go point-and-shoot hand held close-ups without a decent supporting rig (the stabilization of FCPX will naturally hold on to the face and not the overall image).

Also won't be going down that route of grading frame-by-frame through Adobe Camera Raw, which in itself was effective for the image though quite time consuming, but the importing of frames to FCPX and grouping them for edit was annihilating (took several evenings to get this all done). Already ordered a GTX 680 4GB to replace the old Radeon 4870 of mac pro 2009, so hopefully I can work with Resolve Lite when grading RAW in the future.

Would be nice to have something large as a teal/blue/green (or even grey) color plate in the background too, instead of the yellow and brown walls, when going about grading. Lighting set would make wonders but it wasn't that bad with the natural existing coffee shop lights either, turned out better than I thought. But not much movie look here.

edit: plus the zoom lens and/or ASA1600 was a no-go.

The Speedbooster is turning your bokeh into a smeary mess.

Coming from the world of shooting only with Canon HFS10 I was glad to finally able to control and have bokeh so didn't really pay attention on the way the bokeh looks but I see now what you mean. Not a deal breaker though

What version of the Speed Booster was used?
    My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

It was the Nikon to BMPCC version.

Taking a Vacation
    You shot with the booster wide open didn't you? Stop down a stop, which should be around the lowest number on your lens anyways and most of that will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    You shot with the booster wide open didn't you? Stop down a stop, which should be around the lowest number on your lens anyways and most of that will go away.
    Gotta try that, good to hear this The noise in the low light was more an issue though, so in this case it felt more open the booster - the better. F3.5-4.5 on the zoom was already too dark, so should look out for more effective ~50mm and 85mm Nikon lenses.