Thread: Camera and Monitor Calibration

1. #1 Camera and Monitor Calibration 
    I am trying to establish color from my BMCC EF. I have a shoot coming up with a DP coming in and I want to have this sorted out for him. I am shooting RAW. I am running SDI out of BMCC to SmallHd AC7 SDI in. This is the monitor for DP. I then want to run SDI out of AC7 into what I have only found is the BM SDI to HDMI converter. So SDI out from AC7 into SDI input on BM converter HDMI out to external ASUS pa246q 1080 monitor for the director. My question is how does one know what color is from camera to different monitors? I have no color bars from camera or on monitors. I need a starting point. I also have no histogram/vector/waveform other than connecting BMCC to macbook pro and using BM Ultrascope? Which I do not want to do on set. How does one calibrate camera, field monitor, and video village monitors so they all match? Any help would be appreciated and pardon me for not know how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by marsmock View Post
    I am trying to establish color from my BMCC EF. I have a shoot coming up with a DP coming in and I want to have this sorted out for him. I am shooting RAW. I am running SDI out of BMCC to SmallHd AC7 SDI in. This is the monitor for DP. I then want to run SDI out of AC7 into what I have only found is the BM SDI to HDMI converter. So SDI out from AC7 into SDI input on BM converter HDMI out to external ASUS pa246q 1080 monitor for the director. My question is how does one know what color is from camera to different monitors? I have no color bars from camera or on monitors. I need a starting point. I also have no histogram/vector/waveform other than connecting BMCC to macbook pro and using BM Ultrascope? Which I do not want to do on set. How does one calibrate camera, field monitor, and video village monitors so they all match? Any help would be appreciated and pardon me for not know how to do this.
    You can calibrate the external monitors with a signal generator and color bars. You could also buy a color chart like an x-rite color checker or passport or DSC labs One shot and use that as an on set calibration reference.

If you want to calibrate your monitors to color bars you can put bars on your camera's hard drive via FCP or whatever and play them back from your camera to calibrate the image on all of your devices. Keep in mind that calibrated isn't good, just correct.

Taking a Vacation
    Also when you monitor the signal out of these cameras, the picture is not that great. Even a calibrated monitor will not look good. That's why people are looking towards monitors with LUTs. A few of us have found that we like to boost saturation and chromo in out monitors to represent what we would be able to achieve in post.