Thread: This Guy Can Grade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 This Guy Can Grade 
    And shoot. And get the most from his 12mm SLR Magic and a cheapo steadycam.
    http://osgfilms.com/blackmagic-pocke...-color-graded/

I couldnt watch that past the first minute. Horrible "Steadycam" movement and it looked very video to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess. (and the music....ahh)
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I'm with jambredz. Horrid camera work and the grade is nothing special.
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

When the Steadicam was first invented you could not buy one or rent one. You had to hire a certified operator that owned one. As a result all Steadicam footage for the first 20 years looked amazing. This is very subpar stabilizer footage.

Geez guys, it's easy to get a 'professional' steadicam look from expensive steadicam equipment, but this obviously wasn't what this guy was aiming for. He used a non-stabilized, not very well-balanced lens on the BMPC, and made you feel like he was moving through a raw NYC landscape like it actually is ,not like a glossy hollywood movie would like us to believe it is. Remember, this is a test, and I, too, wouldn't want to see 90 minutes of footage like this, but a few minutes to absorb the 'look and feel' is fine by me. Plus, he showed how well the Magic performed in very low-light uncontrolled situations, which is something I haven't seen before. But...different strokes... as they say. As for the grading, for the most part, it suited the footage - which is what it should aim to do.

Senior Member Useg Diaz-Granados's Avatar
    I'm with jambredz. Horrid camera work and the grade is nothing special
    lol

Looked a hellovalot better than my stadycam footage.

I have to agree with efeniblatt; I thought the footage went well with the subject matter.

Can you imagine if you had no Punk music and were forced to only listen to Mozart or Abba for the rest of your life (I like them by the way)?

There are probably a lot of people that are going to experiment with these tools that might create interesting and alternative looks.

This reminds me of some other footage that somebody shot for a Eastern European hair salon.

A lot of people from the States were all over it because they thought it looked cheesy and I thought to myself do they ever watch 99.9 percent of the stuff coming out of Hollywood?

Some people like Papa San others like Marley and some like them both while others dislike their music and prefer Justin Bieber (I like his last track "All that Matters"; sound much better then alot of Brothers trying to be soulful out there).

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados
    Last edited by Useg Diaz-Granados; 12-18-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by efeinblatt View Post
    Geez guys, it's easy to get a 'professional' steadicam look from expensive steadicam equipment, but this obviously wasn't what this guy was aiming for.
    It is not easy. Even with a $50,000 Steadicam it takes months of practice to get good footage. The pitch and yaw is one thing but his movements were to quick and he over corrected causing strobing.

Quote Originally Posted by efeinblatt View Post
    He used a non-stabilized, not very well-balanced lens on the BMPC
    It is general practice to turn off IS on lens when shooting on a stabilizer.

Also I'm not sure I would even call it grading. It looks like basic color correction or even a 1st look.
    Last edited by kgimedia; 12-19-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Same feeling here... I had to shut it off after about the first ten seconds or so. It was painful to watch. This is not a color grade and not a steadyshot. Anyone who thinks otherwise should really think about going to film school before they pick up their next camera.

Great advice Rob. There's no question that only great films are made by people who pass through film schools, and I expect that's what they taught you at school. Take a dramamine and watch the entire thing.

Looks like a basic levels correction, punching the saturation a bit, and really bad steadicam work. Sorry, there are much better exam[les of both out there. Not trying to put you down efeinblatt. It's just not very impressive.