Thread: Archiving the massive raw media

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1- Archiving the original raw footage of Feature movies, not music videos, commercials, weddings or corporate videos.
    2- Archiving to two copies of Open LTO tapes and disk drives, this is just for the raw footage of the feature movie, a raid array is needed for the selected footage for editing the project .
    3- Yes archiving to film is the best, but film is not going to be here in the near future, Kodak is already out, companies are not setting around, but testing newer ways of protecting their expensive assets ( feature movies originals ), so far the answer is Open LTO tape.
    4- big archive system is unnecessary, if you are a low budget filmmaker, all you need is an LTO drive or two for $ 1,500 and $ 42.00 LTO 5 tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by soupkitchen View Post
    or you could convert them to EXRs though I'm not 100% sure you would keep all the metadata.
    Converting to EXR would technically be lossy, and is actually inefficient. That's because EXR is 16bit float (1 bit sign, 5 bit exponent, and 10 bit mantissa) whereas BMC data is 12 bit linear. If you really want the technical jargon I can go into it, but you would lose the last bit for colors between 0.5 and 1.0. If you convert to a compressed DNG file you are guaranteed 100% exact data (if it's done right) but any conversion to EXR would always have some loss.

Or just use LTO-5s and never compress Or 32 bit EXR not half float. Or DNG as you suggest, but these days any compression seem like more of a waste of time. If you are doing enough work and archiving, the LTO will pay for itself sooner rather than later and hard drives only last a few years max.
    Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor
    Twitter Vimeo
    http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
    BMMCC Veydras
    Smallrig, Letus & Ergocine support

LTO-5, never heard of them but glad I did now, this will be useful for archiving, cheers

I'm telling you guys, LTO is not the way to go if you're a low budget filmmaker.
    Look at the prices you just quoted, plus you will want to making a 2nd tape backup for offsite unless you want all your eggs in one basket.

Seriously, take a close look again at the cloud prices, I'm helping you out here by turning you on to this.

First 1 TB / month $0.125 per GB $0.093 per GB
    Next 49 TB / month $0.110 per GB $0.083 per GB
    Next 450 TB / month $0.095 per GB $0.073 per GB
    Next 500 TB / month $0.090 per GB $0.063 per GB
    Next 4000 TB / month $0.080 per GB $0.053 per GB
    Over 5000 TB / month $0.055 per GB

And that's your offsite backup right there. Tape is for boxes
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

I don't like cloud storage and I won't use it because:
    1. I don't have unlimited bandwidth
    2. the more TBs you will store online, the more hackers will try to feed you

cloud = Amazon Cloud Goes Down Friday Night, Taking Netflix, Instagram And Pinterest With It

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/06/30/amazon-cloud-goes-down-friday-night-taking-netflix-instagram-and-pinterest-with-it/

Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    I'm telling you guys, LTO is not the way to go if you're a low budget filmmaker.
    s
    Actually the low budget filmmaker should be more careful than a big company about where their assets are , how much protected and how easily accessible at any given moment, a low budget filmmaker does not have the resources to shoot again if he or she loses all or a part of their project or lose the cloud services for any reason, but big company can.
    It is a win win situation with two LTO tapes and two disk drives backup under your control at anytime, with the cloud you might lose the service, or someone hacks into your account and delete, copy or change the password and deny you access to your account.
    Here is a good example of losing the control over your accounts, this is not a computer platform specific.

Kaspersky Labs: Apple's Security 10 Years Behind Microsoft

http://www.dailytech.com/Kaspersky+Labs+Apples+Security+10+Years+Behind+Mic rosoft/article24552.htm

Apple, Amazon's Weak Security Allows Huge Hack of Gizmodo Reporter

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Amazons+Weak+Security+Allows+Huge+Hack+of+Gi zmodo+Reporter/article25340.htm
    Last edited by rawCAM35; 08-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    Look at the prices you just quoted, plus you will want to making a 2nd tape backup for offsite unless you want all your eggs in one basket.

Seriously, take a close look again at the cloud prices, I'm helping you out here by turning you on to this.

First 1 TB / month $0.125 per GB $0.093 per GB
    Next 49 TB / month $0.110 per GB $0.083 per GB
    Next 450 TB / month $0.095 per GB $0.073 per GB
    Next 500 TB / month $0.090 per GB $0.063 per GB
    Next 4000 TB / month $0.080 per GB $0.053 per GB
    Over 5000 TB / month $0.055 per GB

And that's your offsite backup right there. Tape is for boxes
    Why would anybody bother with the cloud when you have to pay never ending storage costs, upload costs, download costs and time to access......seems daft to me. Especially when drive space is running at $70 per TB, I buy it once and only have to turn on my Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives (RAID) when I need them....or I just use drives like tapes and whack a sticker on the back of each one and line them up on my bookshelf.

Cloud is just the next version of Sales and Marketing in the world of computers, till one day when you can buy a 30,000 TB 'drive' for $20 which fits in your shirt pocket.

I like cloud. Not sure about using it for raw or footage storage. But it's nice to have a safe backup of my previous work on there. It just takes me far too long just to upload 1gb, I would be constantly throttling my internet, non stop just to upload my footage.

That said, I'm about to change to fibre optics internet, it will be very interesting to see if it's more viable to send footage around that way.
    Tom Pierrepont - In-house Camera Operator and Editor (UK)
    @Tompierrepont
    www.tompierrepont.com