Thread: new h264 codec

1. #1 new h264 codec 
    ooops... meant to say new H265 codec

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11534/n...ty-1-file-size

Now that's what I'm talking about... Maybe in a few years our YouTube videos will actually look high quality!

They are getting better at squeezing ever higher quality images into more compressed lower bandwidth codecs. Fine for delivery formats, but these codecs are also getting very good at throwing out every last bit of data that is not needed to represent the image exactly as it looked when encoded. They are very data thin with not much wiggle room.
    This is the exact opposite of what you want for acquisition where you want rich data in depth for creative manipulation.
    That is why I love raw.

Thanks, David. YES.

Quote Originally Posted by razz16mm View Post
    They are getting better at squeezing ever higher quality images into more compressed lower bandwidth codecs. Fine for delivery formats, but these codecs are also getting very good at throwing out every last bit of data that is not needed to represent the image exactly as it looked when encoded. They are very data thin with not much wiggle room.
    This is the exact opposite of what you want for acquisition where you want rich data in depth for creative manipulation.
    That is why I love raw.
    Well said.

That is why I love raw.
    I love raw too, but 265 will be great for online delivery. ProRes, similar and raw will always be better acquisition formats.

Currently, YT smashes our videos to pieces.

That is why I love raw.
    Yeah, agreed. This is much more of a big deal for having the film look like your film on the other side.