Thread: Arri Fresnel Lights...

1. #1 Arri Fresnel Lights... 
    Little bit of a n00b question. I'm just starting out building a lighting kit.

I'm gonna buy a light each payday, and then once i'm happy with my kit I'll through my cheddar down for a bmcc.

Slowly but surely haha.

Anyway I was wondering, well more clarifying, are the arri fresnels powered using a standard PSU? No ballasts or anything?
    I'm talking about the 150w, 300watts.

Cheerssss.

Tungsten lights are straight, resistive loads. No ballast or anything else. Your only concern is making sure the bulb voltage is correct for your country. 120v bulbs on 220v power have a nasty habit of exploding at wattages under 5k.

Thanks for the straight answer rexbron. So in the uk I have to make sure I have 240v bulbs?

Quote Originally Posted by rexbron View Post
    Tungsten lights are straight, resistive loads. No ballast or anything else. Your only concern is making sure the bulb voltage is correct for your country. 120v bulbs on 220v power have a nasty habit of exploding at wattages under 5k.
    nasty habit? More like a death wish haha. I've seen a few people forget to put a scrim into a light and have practically molten glass explode over a set

Hi Dale,

You will need 230v bulbs. gx6.35 bulbs for 150w and gy9.5 type bulbs for 300w/600w. You generally find you will need to buy bulbs as they're not included with the lights.

The Arri Fresnels you're talking about can be pluged into a standard home socket (with an adapter-again may not be included) without too much worry. You do need to be aware of overloading the circuit and blowing a fuse, but the wattage you're talking about will be fine.

BTW I love the Arri fresnels, but if money is an issue you might want to look into buying used Mole Richardson lights. They take more of a beating than the Arri, and you can find great deals on them used!

Thanks Kingswell, any good uk shop online/not that's worth buying from? Appreciate the precise info.

I'll have a look into them Rob cheers

No Problem. I use Videogear.co.uk-good friendly company. Give them a call before buying if you have any worries-all their staff are very knowledgeable. Also Creative Video (CVP) and ProAV are good companies if you want to compare prices.

I just got an arri kit. 150, 300 and 650 along with a Kino Flo Parabeam 400. The Arris are awesome, hard to get nice diffusion though. The Kino Flo is fun to play with because of the dimmer. I think it's the perfect setup, use the arri kit for key and hair light and the parabeam to fill the background to the point you need it to eliminate noise when exposing.