Thread: When to change SSDs?

1. #1 When to change SSDs? 
    Prepping for a feature with 2 BMCCs, and have a question for you owners who have shot with it. How are you guys handling mag changes as the camera doesn't give us remaining record times? Rolling out on a take is unacceptable and looks bad on camera dept... We are shootin 2.5k raw and hard drive space will not be a problem.

Any workarounds? I would appreciate it,

Mahalos,
    Ryo Rex

The camera displays how many minutes you have recorded on your ssd. So I always figure (roughly) 30 minutes for every 240gbs of video. It helps me keep track. However whatever clip you last watched will determine what time it displays. So I have to fast forward to the end of the last clip to get the total time readout if that makes sense. Maybe someone can chime in, if there's a better way.
    Last edited by David_; 09-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF

Taking a Vacation
    Camera assistant / dit with a stopwatch to keep track of time. Furthermore ProRes is excellent with this camera and Raw is not needed, only if doing Special Fx work. Once again RAW IS NOT NEEDED, unless doing special Fx work. 1080p Pro Res Hq is excellent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by David_ View Post
    The camera displays how many minutes you have recorded on your ssd. So I always figure (roughly) 30 minutes for every 240gbs of video. It helps me keep track. However whatever clip you last watched will determine what time it displays. So I have to fast forward to the end of the last clip to get the total time readout if that makes sense. Maybe someone can chime in, if there's a better way.
    Thanks David, that helps immensely.

On another note, have you guys experienced the camera not powering on for a while after rolling for a long time and ejecting ssd & powering off? It's on 1.3 firmware. A little disconcerting...

JFR- Prores would have been nice, but we have a lot of VFX shots and the moire & tint issue is something that better in raw from my tests. I just think the in camera prores debayer still needs some work if it's ending up on a 40ft screen. Also don't forget as DPs we have to deal with politics as well, so we have to cover out bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo Rex View Post

On another note, have you guys experienced the camera not powering on for a while after rolling for a long time and ejecting ssd & powering off? It's on 1.3 firmware. A little disconcerting...

JFR- Prores would have been nice, but we have a lot of VFX shots and the moire & tint issue is something that better in raw from my tests. I just think the in camera prores debayer still needs some work if it's ending up on a 40ft screen. Also don't forget as DPs we have to deal with politics as well, so we have to cover out bases.
    If you find the camera wont turn back on when it still has battery try holding down the power button for 20 seconds or so to do a force shutdown and then see if it starts up properly.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by J.F.R. View Post
    Camera assistant / dit with a stopwatch to keep track of time. Furthermore ProRes is excellent with this camera and Raw is not needed, only if doing Special Fx work. Once again RAW IS NOT NEEDED, unless doing special Fx work. 1080p Pro Res Hq is excellent quality.
    RAW IS NEEDED for versatility in grading.

Hi Ryo,

What David mentioned is how I handle that problem as well. One thing to keep in mind is this works best if you stick to one frame rate per SSD. I'm guessing you'll probably shoot everything in 24p, but just in case you have a special need for a one off frame rate (like 30p to achieve a slight slo mo) then keep in mind that the playback only keeps track of time recorded for one frame rate at a time. Meaning if you shot 5 minutes in 30p and 20 minutes in 24p and you're playing back the 24p footage, it will only show that 20 minutes has been used. You'll need to remember that you've already used 5 minutes of 30p. Pretty specific for a situation you may not find yourself in for your shoot but I thought I'd point it out just in case. Rolling when you don't have enough space on the bmcc is a huge bummer. The camera needs a better indication of when the SSD is full or near full.

I find it disappointing that in the 8 months since I sold mine, some really basic things that aid shooting still haven't been implemented like remaining minutes or GB, audio meters and stuff. I mean... That's really basic need-to-haves!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo Rex View Post

No problem, and welcome to the forum. I haven't experience that particular problem, but I've had to deal with some issues of my own. I wound up calling bmd and they asked to have the camera sent in for repair. after getting it back, it works great now (knock on wood)
    Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF

Quote Originally Posted by David_ View Post
    that's what I do on mine. I change SSD every 22 minutes for RAW and 2.4 hours on ProRes this way I dont fill them up and it takes less time to offload , it saves time ,even with a thunderbolt Seagate ssd reader, it's not lighting fast.