Thread: Cineform Conversion anyone use?

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mintcheerios View Post
    As for Davinci Resolve in Windows accepting Cineform files, I've actually read reports that say it's working in the latest beta, but is currently unlisted in the codec sheet. I don't have Resolve to test it, but it'd nice if someone could confirm. If it does work, I think I'll be buying Cineform Premium for sure. It used to be like $1500 bucks, but went down to $300 after GoPro acquired them (videoguys has it for $250). This is an excellent solution for Windows users who want compressed edit-friendly RAW files. Now if they could just make a GUI version. I know David Newman posts on the big forums, so hopefully he's reading this.
    +1 to that. I own NeoScene and I'd consider getting Premium Studio only for Cineform RAW.

I think there is one issue left to sort out- CF tool is for DNG image sequence. BM camera outputs DNG format in MXF wrapper (this what I read somewhere on this forum), so it won't work straight away.
    I think I've seen David's saying on twitter that there will be converter for BM camera soon.

CF command line tools are great- very fast and work for many formats- I doubt that there is anything faster out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Nicholson View Post
    Attachment 30
    It will look like this and allow you to select the directory. I wish I had some raw DNG files from the Blackmagic cam to test. I wonder if they are going to be wrapped in a wrapper, or just individual files like the ikonoskop
    I think it would be nice to have ability to choose fps.

Attachment 30
    It will look like this and allow you to select the directory. I wish I had some raw DNG files from the Blackmagic cam to test. I wonder if they are going to be wrapped in a wrapper, or just individual files like the ikonoskop
    Right now they show up as individual numbered frames in a folder for each record event.

jb

Ok- so CF tool will work

Quote Originally Posted by mintcheerios View Post
    As for Davinci Resolve in Windows accepting Cineform files, I've actually read reports that say it's working in the latest beta, but is currently unlisted in the codec sheet. I don't have Resolve to test it, but it'd nice if someone could confirm.
    Cineform files have been working in Resolve from the first Windows beta version (if I remember well). I tried it and had no issues. Resolve sees 10bit no problem- never tried 12bit CF file thought, but it should also work fine. BM Resolve codec support PDF is bit outdated.
    Last edited by Andrew_HD; 04-26-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Glad to hear it will actually already work with the native files from the BMC cam. I'll add the framerate option and make sure it can't overwrite output files now.

I did this. I put DPX2CF in my DNG folder

DPX2CF *.DNG test.avi -q6 -f 23.976
    The resulting Cineform RAW file takes about 2 seconds to create, contains both 1 second clips and is 63MB in size

As for ease of use, maybe I'll start playing around with making a batch file gui that makes it simpler to use. Lots of easy to use programs that do that.
    q6 is a special mode- higher quality than FilmScan2 (q5), but for most source files may be bit overkill. It's designed to use for clean/relatively easy to encode footage- it forces CF encoder not to go to low with bitrate for these kind of sources. For typical source with bit of noise and detailed q5 should be good enough.

Something strange:

With Cineform Studio Professional installed, I am able to import one (of the 50) ikonoskop DNGs in Adobe Media Encoder and they all show up as a sequence in the source preview monitor. However, it imports as being a "1fps source @ 2048x1092", and when scrubbing through the source monitor I see each frame play for 30 frames and so on for each of the 50 frames. (So it's like 50 seconds instead of naturally being 2 seconds @ 25fps)

I am able to export it at the same resolution (2048x1092) w/ the Cineform HD/2k/4k Codec, in 422, 444, or 4444, and all the encoding qualities (from Low Quality to Film Scan 2). As you would have guessed it exported to a 50 second clip after encoding to 25fps, instead of a 2 second clip.

So it works... but not really. Anyone have any suggestions allowing Adobe Media Encoder to just let each frame be a frame, instead of automatically duplicating it self for an X amount of frames?

Hi guys,

I didn't expect so much discussion already on transcoding to CineForm RAW, thank you for such an encouraging thread. Yes we often add new features first as a shell tool, as these are typically used by high-end facillities which prefer scriptable shells over fancy GUIs. But now that BMD will take CinemaDNG mainstream, will we offer a nice full GUI experience for these files within our CineForm Studio Premium tool.

I'm not sure that I'm on any BMD beta list for this camera (hint, hint, swap for some GoPro's? ) so as soon as images sequences (with audio) are available, someone please email me so we can test.

David Newman
    Sr. Dir. Software Engineering, GoPro.