Thread: Do Super 16 lenses achieve a 1:1 crop factor on BM Pocket Cam?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Do Super 16 lenses achieve a 1:1 crop factor on BM Pocket Cam? 
    I've read countless threads and opinions on what lens will work for the BMPC and what that crop factor would be and so on. I haven't heard a plain answer on this question though. If I take a S16 lens of 12mm, will the FOV stay at 12 mm when I mount it to the BM Pocket Cam? I figure it would but I haven't heard confirmation of this.

I have a BMPC coming (hopefully soon) and I'm wary of getting these lenses before I have it in my hands.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

12's a 12, always. However, Pocket Cam's active area is SLIGHTLY larger so it will use more of the lens, that's something to consider.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Hi Kholi - thanks for your quick response. I understand that physically the 12 doesn't change - I'm asking about the FOV. If I want a wide shot of a canyon and I put a 12 on the BMPC, that wide is going to be very different than lets say a FOV of 36. I'm trying to understand if a Super 16 lens (which were made for Super 16 cameras) are the equivalent FOV of a Super 16 sensor.

Excuse me for being green - what do you mean by active area?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lambert View Post
    Hi Kholi - thanks for your quick response. I understand that physically the 12 doesn't change - I'm asking about the FOV. If I want a wide shot of a canyon and I put a 12 on the BMPC, that wide is going to be very different than lets say a FOV of 36. I'm trying to understand if a Super 16 lens (which were made for Super 16 cameras) are the equivalent FOV of a Super 16 sensor.

Excuse me for being green - what do you mean by active area?
    Oh got it. 12 would be wider than a 35 for sure. However, a 12 would also be more like your 28mm if you're used to shooting S35.

A 16mm set looks like: 5-6mm, 8mm, 9.5mm, 12mm, 16mm, 25mm, and maybe a 35 and 50

12mm on BPC is likely going to be your walk-around focal length, for just about everything (in my opinion)

A wide would be something like an 8mm.

Active Area = Area of the sensor used to acquire image, at least that's what I think it means! xD Haha

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

gotcha - thanks for the insight!

If the BMPC "active sensor" is almost identical to S16 then the field of view on all the lenses should look the same, S16 vs BMPC. The BMPC active sensor I read is 12.48x7.02mm (14.31mm diagonal) and the S16 camera aperture is 12.35x7.49mm (14.4mm diagonal). So, contrary to what both Kholi and I assumed, the minimum image circle is a tiny bit bigger for S16 format. In practice the S16 lenses normally have bigger than minimum image circles.

The size of the actual image circles for S16 lenses has been a subject of discussion for the BMCC. Some factual results from people testing Zeiss super speeds on the actual BMCC are on this thread...
    http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...lex-16-12-T1-3

Somewhere in that thread some one points out that the common wide angle adapters for the SSs do give a vignette. Interesting to know.

If there's marginal vignetting, a very short extension tube might sacrifice a little light, but expand the image circle just a bit.

At least, that's what I was hoping when I bought these...

tubes.jpg

Thanks Gregg! That's what I was thinking but unable to actually get confirmation about. That's pretty good news then - if one can find proper S16 lenses to go with it. I'm anxious to see how "in the field" ready these cameras are with such a shaky understanding of S16 lenese (on my part). Glad to hear it's possible to get a nice wide with the right S16 wide angle.

Randy - I'd be interested to know how those work

Any extension tube will not let you focus to infinity any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lambert View Post
    ...... if one can find proper S16 lenses to go with it. I'm anxious to see how "in the field" ready these cameras are with such a shaky understanding of S16 lenese (on my part).........
    You can read up on the old S16 cine lenses. The Zeiss super speeds were designed in the 80s but are amazingly good. Cook Kinetals were standard 16, the wide one won't cover but they are really sharp, warmer and less contrast. Old Schneider, also standard 16, same problem with the wide, are noticably softer, but look really beatiful.

Zeiss, Cooke and Cannon all made really good S16 Zooms.

There is good reading on the Cinematechnic site.
    http://cinematechnic.com/resources/z...,2_lenses.html
    http://cinematechnic.com/resources/o..._super-16.html

Also on Cinematography.com forum, search archives for discussion about S16 lenses, standard 16 lenses.

Older S16 lenses should be renting reasonably cheap. If you turn up at the rental house when they are not busy, with a pocket cam, you will probably get to try out some lenses.