Thread: Which lenses are good for studio, need to have lanc or remote controls

1. #1 Which lenses are good for studio, need to have lanc or remote controls 
    building a studio rig with four BMCs on sticks so I want control of zoom, focus and poss aperture on handle for ease of use,
    any recommendations guys?

No lens zooms can be controlled unless you buy a separate Microforce type of setup.

keep going please, this is kinda a new area for me

what is there out there that I can look at to give me an idea of options and cost

Well here is something on the ultra cheap I found a couple months back. You just need to be a little handy, and be good at directions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...ed-ZoomFocus-/

Otherwise you are talking things like this to make it zoom.

http://www.prestoncinema.com/products.html

Here are some codes I found for adding the LANC protocol to the Arduino solution, just scroll down until you see the LANC stuff.

http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/In...ardware#Camera

I wish I had the time to be handy, I would have to build four units and then somehow figure out how to mount them onto tripod arms.

The Preston Cinema units look kinda right up my alley but no prices are listed. (sent email to them asking for one).

Quote Originally Posted by Allan 'Noel-edge' Okello View Post
    I wish I had the time to be handy, I would have to build four units and then somehow figure out how to mount them onto tripod arms.

The Preston Cinema units look kinda right up my alley but no prices are listed. (sent email to them asking for one).
    They are not cheap. The complete set up will probably cost you at least $5,000 if not $8000. There are cheaper knock offs, but Microforce is the best.

WOW!!! they responded in a instant!!!!

cant quite figure out the kit I'd need from the price list but I have asked If they can spec a rig to my needs.

but in saying that I saw a most expensive unit at $11,000+ and cables for $165 so I await a rather hearty laugh on my part for a rig that I will need 4 of!

Might even inspire me to get handy LOL

If you want to save money, what you need to look for is wired or wireless follow focus systems, then use it on the zoom instead of the focus. Then you can use a LANC remote plugged into the BMC for the focus.

Another way to save money is not trying to use Cinema cameras in a 4 camera studio situation. I would love some explanation of why the BMCC is the camera you chose to use in that situation. In my mind the only worse option would be using actual film cameras.