Thread: Rig essentials

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rig essentials 
    I've been looking at the Cinema Camera for my first foray into interchangeable lens cameras, having only used all-in-one fixed lens camcorders before. I've seen some good information about specific parts of a rig here but need some help determining everything that I'd need to get going with the camera before I buy the camera and some accessories only to find out I need to spend way more than I budgeted. I know that this will vary widely based on everyone's different needs. I plan on mainly starting with some short films and then possibly work my way into a feature.

Here is what I am considering - anything essential that I am leaving out? I haven't quite decided on specifics for some items since which option I go with will be determined on how much eveything else costs.

Camera - Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF Mount
    Power - Switronix Powerbase-70 Battery Pack and charger
    Shoulder rig - IKAN Cinefly
    Storage - 2x 480GB Sandisk Extreme
    Lenses - Rokinon cine prime set
    Monitor - SmallHD AC7
    Mattebox - TBD
    Follow focus - TBD
    ND filters - TBD
    Tripod - TBD
    Audio - TBD

Anything that I will need to take into account to mount to the rig? My current computer setup should handle Pro-res fine, but I am waiting to see whether a new Mac Pro will be announced at WWDC before I decide what my final RAW workflow will be. I know there will be additional costs there but am more concerned with pricing the camera rig now. Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated, or if someone has some good links to read, that would be great, too.

Go get yourself a viewfactor cage, it's worth the penny.
    ND - Tiffen
    Monitor - I have a SmallHD DP6 but I prefer TVlogic 056WP coz it's feather weight, has waveform and audio meter
    Audio - do you want to record dual-system?

I still haven't found a use for a cage, and always have other equipment to buy that seems more important..... I know I've said this before, but my 2-cents. Lights and grip!
    For ND I'd only go Tiffen IRND after seeing the tests of IR pollution online.

Regarding IR Pollution. My Eclipse Fader ND works fine with the Heliopan IR Filter...
    EF-BMCC 1300x00 - the lucky one

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the TVlogic might be a little more than I was looking to spend right now, but I will keep it in mind. I plan on using dual system audio.

Check out the Ikan D5w for $899. It seemed to be the best monitor at the best price and so far, I've got zero complaints.

F&V have a couple of monitors coming out in June, 7" HDMI $299 & HD-SDI for $499
    vlighting.com/store/monitors/lcd/f3.html
    Last edited by Paul Abrahams; 05-25-2013 at 04:34 AM.
    Studio One, Davinci, imac with way too much music and video gear.

Think that should be fvlighting.com/store/monitors/lcd/f3.html - looks interesting, but I think I might go with the Ikan for better resolution and waveforms. B&H has it for $705 with the Panasonic battery plate. Any reason not to go with that vs Canon or Sony?

How esential is a monitor or VF on the BMD cameras?
    Is it as important as on DSLR's.. meaning it is a MUST to be able to set any form of critical focus or framing?

From my understanding, the LCD on the camera is pretty much unusable in daylight.