Thread: About last night...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 About last night... 
    I am saying this because I remember the AF100 debacle at DVXuser and do not want to repeat that here.
    No matter what you think and how you try to justify it, the footage thread thing and the insulting of members was not our most shining moment as a community.

Have you ever started a thread topic and had people ignore you, the OP, and hijack your thread to talk about what they want to talk about? Have others participated?

Magnify that and add insult to the injury.

I turn to great thinkers for a response to this...

Kahlil Gibran says:
    “Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself.”
    But it is also said:
    "You can't change what has already happened so don't waste your time thinking about it. Move on, let go and get over it."
    But that is how negative behaviors continue.

The most honest thing that was said in the stuff that happened in the footage thread was-

The fact that I've pre-ordered (in the top ten at Omega and hope to get my BMC on my birthday) in no way precludes genuine interest in independent professional evaluations. Isn't that centric to the forum? Why in the world would that threaten you?
    And although the conclusion was insulting, asinine and completely condescending, the point is clarion and sound... we come here for independent professional evaluations. I hope that this forum continues to be a welcoming place for exactly that in all of it forms and fashions. I hope the members here are continually respectful of each other and do not ignore each other for the sake of exploiting their own critical acumen. Quite frankly, none of us are experts here. We are all in uncharted territory and are leading the blind blindly, or at least through a glass darkly, so we can't afford to lose anyone or miss any point, or leave any question, or ignore any answer.

The quote is sound. The genuine interest in professional evaluation, and the dissemination of information about those evaluations, is centric to this forum. Let us all remember to never forget that... no matter who were are or what we think we know. Let us also do things in the right time and in proper order. Our excitement should not overshadow our reason.

I apologize publicly to John Brawley and hope to continue to learn from him as well as the other powerhouses who are members here...

I really believe in this community and have learned a great many things since April. I thank the members, appreciate the members, and hope that this continues.

We are the first and strongest community around this groundbreaking system and I am proud to be a member.

I'm already pretty much settled into the camera's capabilities. There's a few things that aren't in the public specs that I'd like BMD to implement eventually, and every bit of new info about the camera's progress is great, but for the most part, I'm personally more interested in how I can make full use of the camera with everything that happens in front of it. It appears that a proportion of us are learning cinematography, which is why I've made tried to contribute to non-camera related topics about production in general (and received some really helpful responses). This camera is almost a commitment for me to really go for it and I appreciate everyone's input and advice on mine and other's topics.

The main thing is that all cameras are good at some things and not so good at other things. This camera will excel at certain things (as it's been advertised and proven/being proven to in those areas). Blackmagic Design are obviously aware of things that people are pushing for or desiring. I'm personally sitting back and waiting to have mine in my hands and start shooting.

In relation to the footage topic, I was sold simply by the few Leah clips (and some of the other clips)!
    Last edited by nickjbedford; 06-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Senior Member Paul Stephen Edwards's Avatar
    The camera brought me here, but it's people that keep me here. I've learned a heap, too Nick. I am unbelievably excited to see the WORK that will be produced by members of the forum w/ the BMCC.

You know what detail on the Leah clips sold me? It was the hair curlers. You could practically feel the texture in them. And those colors!

In any case, we do what we can to keep it positive & take the best pictures we can. Yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stephen Edwards View Post
    The camera brought me here, but it's people that keep me here. I've learned a heap, too Nick. I am unbelievably excited to see the WORK that will be produced by members of the forum w/ the BMCC.

You know what detail on the Leah clips sold me? It was the hair curlers. You could practically feel the texture in them. And those colors!

In any case, we do what we can to keep it positive & take the best pictures we can. Yeah?
    Yeah, and I loved the shirt detail in the Leah clip.

I haven't posted much (mostly due to other people posting topics that are for the most part very interesting and informative) but I think the damage is done in terms of what was said in the footage thread. John posted a comment which blew up and I'd be surprised to see any more comments from him before the camera is in other people's hands....
    // Aaron

I really like John Brawley's visual aesthetic (colour, range, shot style and flow, amongst other things), so I've learnt a lot of little things about film lighting, camera movement and editing from watching some of his videos and to me, this is far more valuable than needing to know if the whatsadoosey will plug into the shoozleblammo in the future ().

The kind of knowledge that removes the camera specs from the equation and puts the camera work, direction and pacing of a story at the front of the queue, though not disregarding the desire for a high quality acquisition tool. I mean, that's why I'm buying this camera, right? For me, it does precisely what I want. Gives me dynamic range and records to a highly gradable log footage file for the photographer in me, so that I can move on to the scene at hand and know I'll be getting a sweet image to work with for post.

Now just to come up with some of that "time" stuff to work on my DPing

Senior Member Paul Stephen Edwards's Avatar
    "To spend time is to pass it in a specified manner. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to spend or waste, and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever. If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." Bruce Lee. Ultimate Badass.

There are going to be some rough patches the closer we get to camera release. Fact is, right now, there is no camera available to the public yet. The closer we get to that date, the more excited (and demanding) people tend to become.

It will probably only get worse before it gets better. Folks just need to remember to take a breath.

Once the cameras have been out a while, and folks here are actual users of the camera, things will settle down some. People will have decided whether this camera is for them or not. For those who decide it is... This community will be here for them to support and learn from each other. In the meantime... put your helmets on, and try to be mindful of what kinds of discussions we want to be taking place here as we move forward. Again, once there are cameras out in the wild, and real users, this place will have a much more refined focus and mission statement. Right now, folks are understandably excited, anxious, unsure, etc. Just can't let it get to you. Ignore the noise, and move on. Try not to contribute to it.
    www.bmcuser.com
    A Landmine Media "User" Community
    The online resource for the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera

I've really enjoyed reading all the threads on BMCUSER. We are a small community but it will probably grow and I will fondly remember the people who helped out with info and advice in the early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    There are going to be some rough patches the closer we get to camera release. Fact is, right now, there is no camera available to the public yet. The closer we get to that date, the more excited (and demanding) people tend to become.

It will probably only get worse before it gets better. Folks just need to remember to take a breath.

Once the cameras have been out a while, and folks here are actual users of the camera, things will settle down some. People will have decided whether this camera is for them or not. For those who decide it is... This community will be here for them to support and learn from each other. In the meantime... put your helmets on, and try to be mindful of what kinds of discussions we want to be taking place here as we move forward. Again, once there are cameras out in the wild, and real users, this place will have a much more refined focus and mission statement. Right now, folks are understandably excited, anxious, unsure, etc. Just can't let it get to you. Ignore the noise, and move on. Try not to contribute to it.
    Wisdom from the master...