Thread: CinemaDNG browser, preview player, management?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 CinemaDNG browser, preview player, management? 
    Hi everybody,
    got my first shoots with the BMCC (and already burned a spot into my cineroid retina evf yikes), and now I'm wondering if there is a preview/playback browser utility for CinemaDNG?
    Blackmagic Media Express does only work with captured files and not import DNG or did I just not find the right option?

I was walking around our city and took some Andrew-Paris-Style shoots.. I did some slider moves several times and now would like to just browse the clips and delete the obvious bad ones. Is there no utility other
    then the Resolve Import page where I can see the mini-preview and delete folders?

Any utility out there that I'm missing?

Here are your options:

1. Play them back in camera, with - or without an external monitor.
    2. Speedgrade works fine for preview.

After offloading 1) is no option anymore
    2. I will try Speedgrade, is it any better/different then the Resolve Import-Tab with list+small preview window?

No, the UI sucks, but it's able to playback DNG in realtime, even on my 2 year old laptop.

Heh performance is not an issue, I just thought there is a better way to organize/preview clips then Resolve's Media/Import-Preview window

You can buy 99$ DrasticPreview if you want just a preview- it reads MANY formats including very rare ones.

Other way (bit more expensive) is MediaReactor from Drastic- it will allow you to open (convert) DNG in QT player. Uses simple bilinear debayer, but just for a preview is fine. It should work in realtime on average machine. It also reads timecode.
    Last edited by Andrew_HD; 04-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.

I had the same problem - how do you preview RAW clips? How do you catalog them? How do you easily edit without losing all the DNG quality?

So I developed this utility called RAW 4 PRO, which is pretty advanced now at version 3.0 that lets you do all these things easily. It also offloads and organizes your footage.

Here's the funny video celebrating One Year anniversary since RAW 4 PRO's inception

and here's a serious but boring video showing off RAW 4 PRO, which works now with all RAW cameras including BMPCC and BM4K, including audio:

Hey Alex, I was already planning on buying RAW4PRO at some point, but the one year anniversary video solidified my decision to purchase it! That was so stupid and awesome! The last 10 seconds are pure gold!

On a more serious note, do you have any ideas for an automated method that copies just the desired raw folders to a new destination? Let's say that you used RAW4PRO to import and make proxies. You then edit with those proxies eventually replacing the footage with the raw for the final conform. I render out a final edit, but I also want to archive only the raw shots that made it into the final edit and I don't want to go through and hand select the shots. Can you think of any way to automatically move those folders to a new destination?
    Last edited by Andrew; 08-24-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Hey Alex, I was already planning on buying RAW4PRO at some point, but the one year anniversary video solidified my decision to purchase it! That was so stupid and awesome! The last 10 seconds are pure gold!
    Haha, all credit goes to Bozo The Clown, he had free hand in making the entire video, and I think he's just brilliant! ) Just because of that video, we'll all make millions, millions I tell ya!

Let's say that you used RAW4PRO to import and make proxies. You then edit with those proxies eventually replacing the footage with the raw for the final conform. I render out a final edit,
    Yes, that's the best and recommended workflow. Same as what we use here ourselves.

...but I also want to archive only the raw shots that made it into the final edit and I don't want to go through and hand select the shots. Can you think of any way to automatically move those folders to a new destination? ... Do you have any ideas for an automated method that copies just the desired raw folders to a new destination?
    You mean, similar to Premiere Pro's Project Management - Trim and Copy?

Interesting challenge. I see some issues there. For example... say, you locked your edit with proxies in PPro. Then you import that project into After Effects (or DaVinci) to finish and render out. In the process, you decided to add some compositing elements - like set extensions, effects footage etc - that weren't present in the main PPro project.

So this means, you'd probably have to Manage files/folders used not from the NLE, but from the finishing app (AE/DaVinci).

Do they already have such Project Management features?