Thread: 4K Dynamic Range

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 4K Dynamic Range 
    I know Black Magic has stated 12 stops, but I've read a few confident sounding posts stating they know the sensor that BM is using, and that it only has 11 stops. Is any of this confirmed? Or is it all assumption at this point?

Hey, they did global! Who knows what they're capable of!

All assumption at this point. But I'm hoping that BMD can pull off 12 stops as spec wise that would pretty much sit the 4K camera somewhere between the C300 and the C500 in many ways (not ND or lowlight etc.) for a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
    I know Black Magic has stated 12 stops, but I've read a few confident sounding posts stating they know the sensor that BM is using, and that it only has 11 stops. Is any of this confirmed? Or is it all assumption at this point?
    You get a S35mm sensor, 4K, and GLOBAL SHUTTER for $4 grand and you are worried about 1 stop of latitude??? Even if it's 11, which is very possible as JB stated it would be more likely more than 1 stop less than V1 BMCC, at this point we can only guess. Until the thing comes out, gets tested in the field and in the studio, it's debatable. The lack of standardized testing methodology for determining DR is also another factor which complicates things even further.

11 or not, I can live with that. For what you get for the price, the 4K BMPC is a remarkable achievement.

If the BMPC is indeed that sensor, then we are not limited to just 11 stops. The sensor has an HDR mode that allows for much greater than 11 stops of dynamic range. From my background in software development, it's my opinion that it's possible to use this HDR mode at lower dynamic range settings. I'm sure there is some sort of secret sauce that does some smart manipulation with the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrycel View Post
    If the sensor is the CMOSIS CMV12000, then it has a calculated dynamic range of 60 dB, or theoretically about 10 stops. This reportedly can be extended to 90 dB (15 stops) through the chip's three HDR modes.

Andrew Reid has a nice article about the global shutter and why it causes less dynamic range and sensitivity. Also there is nice discussion of the trade off between dynamic range and color:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10091/m...upplier-cmosis
    Last edited by rizibo; 04-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.

You just know that as soon as someone is able to do so, they will compare the same scene with the 4k and 2.5K cameras.

I don't really care what the numbers say. I'm waiting for a real comparison...

I love the way BMD shook things up with the BMCC. If the 4k camera has 12 stops, that'd be utterly awesome. It's still more than the DSLR you're upgrading from anyways, and you're shooting in raw or prores with much greater information to work with in post.

It's easy to compare a camera that hasn't been released yet to one you've ordered and haven't received, but just remember with the formats you're working with now, and what kind of upgrade any BMD camera will bring.

The c300 has 12 stops in its C-log, and shoots 8bit 422. The 1dC shoots 4k in 8bit 422 and around the same as well (a bit less I think), and if you've ever dealt with those images in post, they are a JOY to work with and quite friendly to grade. Anything from the BMD will only be better, exciting times I think.

The 4k camera has a different sensor to the BMCC, surely the best way is to fine tune it to the strength of the sensor so I'm not sure it is necessary to fine tune it get the "BMCC look" is the right way especially if it undermine its DR.