Thread: Any reason to kepp MFT orders?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Any reason to kepp MFT orders? 
    With the pocket cam announced and footage now available I don't really see how BM expect anyone to keep their order with the MFT cam. The pocket cam even has an active mount and shoots on affordable sd cards for 2 grand less!! I'd like someone to convince me to keep my MFT BMCC order. what do you guys think? I have a mft ordered from last september and a pocket cam ordered the day it was announce, but I feel as though i'm getting ripped off still getting the MFT cam.

THEN AGAIN things have been silent. I think they have to upgrade the BMC MFT to active now or that's just embarrassing in my book. Also, I could see them selling them for 2 -2500 instead of 3k. what's your guys take on this?

MOVE TO THE CORRECT FORUM! SORRY GUYS!

Resolution, uncompressed RAW, professional outputs. There are a lot of reasons the BMCC MFT is desirable. It just depends on what you will be using the camera for.

If you are more interested in covert, run-n-gun style shooting, the BMPCC might be a better choice. Although the BMPCC will be used for studio narrative work by some, the BMCC is much better equipped to handle that kind of environment.

Get both! They are both cheap, and compliment each other nicely.

Absolutely. Bmpc is not a camera to be used on a professional set, except maybe as a b can or crash can. The BMCC has sdi out, 2.5k, and RAW (which the pcc won't get for a while.)

If you don't want your mft BMCC ill gladly take it off your hands :-)

I have both on order. I will be using mostly Nikon lenses, so the active/passive mount doesn't make much of a difference to me. I will be using my BMCC MFT for most stuff and the BMPCC for either a second cam, a inconspicuous cam, or for hard to get shots.

Yep. Have no interest in the smaller chip footage from the pocket cam which is probably also not in good in lower light situations. 3k for the BMCC MFT is quite inexpensive and that's the camera that interests me.

I don't understnad though how some are ordering both the BMCC and the pocket cam. They just don't seem like very complimentary cameras but rather overlap too much in abilties. For a small B cam I'm going with the GH3 which has overcrank and can share lenses and do time lapse. All very complimentary things to the MFT BMCC IMHO

The form factor alone makes it a different beast than the BMCC. You can get shots with the BMPCC that you can't get with the BMCC quite as easily. They compliment each other because the footage will closely match.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@202020 View Post
    I have both on order. I will be using mostly Nikon lenses, so the active/passive mount doesn't make much of a difference to me. I will be using my BMCC MFT for most stuff and the BMPCC for either a second cam, a inconspicuous cam, or for hard to get shots.
    I'm in a similar situation, but with lots of doubts about what to do.
    I own an EF BMCC, i'm really happy with it and mostly use it with manual lenses. That's why I also ordered an MFT version which I will ge soon. I've also just ordered a Pocket Cam. Now, at the end I will stay with the Pocket and with one of the BMCC. Ideally it will be the MFT but the little wide angle manual lens choice holds me back. I know that with the EF I can go for the Tokina or Sigma lenses, but on the manual side my only option is the SLR Magic, which is a lens that I don't know/trust.
    What is your opinion? Would you keef the EF or go for the MFT to run along the Pocket?
    Film Director
    enricoatwork.com

Quote Originally Posted by rheex View Post
    I'm in a similar situation, but with lots of doubts about what to do.
    I own an EF BMCC, i'm really happy with it and mostly use it with manual lenses. That's why I also ordered an MFT version which I will ge soon. I've also just ordered a Pocket Cam. Now, at the end I will stay with the Pocket and with one of the BMCC. Ideally it will be the MFT but the little wide angle manual lens choice holds me back. I know that with the EF I can go for the Tokina or Sigma lenses, but on the manual side my only option is the SLR Magic, which is a lens that I don't know/trust.
    What is your opinion? Would you keef the EF or go for the MFT to run along the Pocket?
    Are your current lenses EF mount or Nikon adapted for EF? If Nikon, it's a no brainer, switch to MFT. If they are EF, you'll have to buy a Redrook Live Lens MFT so you can use them on the MFT BMCC, and even then you'll lose IS, or just sell the EF lenses and get Nikon equivalents. This can add to the switching cost, but it sounds like you'll have do do one of those options anyway so you can use the Pocket Cam. What I've always done personally, and it hasn't really gone wrong for me yet, is to buy high quality lenses with a longer flange distance with no electronics needed (Nikon). That way they can easily and cheaply be adapted to pretty much any camera body out there (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Blackmagic, Sony, RED, etc.).

i am in the same boat of indecision if to keep my mft order or not ,although no because of the pocket camera i dont see how it is comparable , it will be very hard to avoid rolling shutter on it , there is no hd-sdi output , and most noticable no RAW so i dont see how is it similar

what i am thinking is should i keep my mft order after a bmc production camera has announced - its s35 size sensor
    - and the reason i moved to MFT was because with the crop factor of x2.3 to get a "normal" FOV you need wide lenses and if you want some depth , you need fast wide lenses and they are only available on MFT and not EF ( voigtlander , slrmagic or you can even PL lenses like zeiss superspeed with an adapter)
    but now i am wondering weather to switch because because EF or other mount , still i dont need a special fast wide lens to get the same FOV or shallow depth of field if desired ( i wish they choose other mount so it can also adapt to PL lenses also but beside thats beside the point )

and my biggest problem in deciding which is based on the new Bmcc4k has no test footage to judge on , what does lossy or visual lossy Cinemadng looks like ? how much actual DR is there 11.5 , 12 ? what is the ISO range ?
    so in short hard to decide without a test footage , and there is always fear of waiting another year for something which doesnt ship in its promised date
    Last edited by t.p.; 04-24-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kahn View Post
    Yep. Have no interest in the smaller chip footage from the pocket cam which is probably also not in good in lower light situations. 3k for the BMCC MFT is quite inexpensive and that's the camera that interests me.

I don't understnad though how some are ordering both the BMCC and the pocket cam. They just don't seem like very complimentary cameras but rather overlap too much in abilties. For a small B cam I'm going with the GH3 which has overcrank and can share lenses and do time lapse. All very complimentary things to the MFT BMCC IMHO
    Don't know if this will be true or not. It could well be the same sensor as the BMCC being used in a crop mode in which case sensitivity will be pretty much the same. Even with the high bit rates, the GH3 codec doesn't hold a candle to the pocket cam. Stills capability and higher frame rates would be valid reasons to stick with a GH3 though.