Thread: Whats your grading suite lighting like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Whats your grading suite lighting like? 
    I grade in a room with no light to see colours/contrast better ect...however this is not good for my eyes (or anyone's). I don't wear glasses as yet and would like to keep it like that . So I was wondering ...how's the lighting in the rooms you guys grade in? What's recommended?
    Last edited by jambredz; 04-22-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I prefer a low light editing space. I understand that in doing so, it may be necessary to increase the monitor gamma of (2.2 or 2.4?) to a higher value to compensate for such a dark room environment. Some of the pro model monitor calibration devices have a sensor that measures the room ambience, and adjusts the gamma accordingly. If you have a window and light changes between the day and night, then that may be something to also consider, together with the colour of walls and reflection of light in the room. Perhaps someone can explain this better based on their setup and calibration methods. Oh, and my eyes are getting worse, although I am getting older.

I don't like grading in total darkness. Unless it's specifically for a cinema release....even then....

The best thing is to have a neutral reference, usually around the monitor or on the wall behind that is indirectly lit.

You don't want it too bright least it *light* the wall behind or you and then reflect you or the wall behind into the space.

You want a neutral reference in there because your eyes change their colour sensitivity over time. When you're grading you need to keep *correcting* them. it's like your eyes have auto WB. If you stare at a colour for a prolonged amount of time, your eye starts to tune it out, so you keep adding more and more to get it to the same levels. Over time, the grade gets more and more extreme. Having a neutral grey reference in your peripheral vision will help to calibrate your eye.

The other good thing to do to check you haven't gone TOO DARK with your grade is to watch it with all the lights on. I often do this at the end of a session, especially when grading for broadcast. You have to remember, even at night people tend to have lights on.

jb

Here's an awesome and COMPLETE tutorial on setting up your work space for grading.

http://splicevine.com/july-color-correction/#jump6

If you don't care about setting up your work space properly, at least the basics, the most expensive grading monitor will be worth nothing.

thanks guys...this really helps
    Darren Scott

Thanks stip for the Link, good information

I agree with JB. A nice neutral gray, my room is 18% gray, with bias lights behind the monitor. I'm in the US so I use 6500K bias lights from CinemaQuest. Here is a picture of my current room, you can see the bias lights brightening the wall behind the main monitor.

BadCatFilms.jpg

nice. gonna buy some bias lighting!
    Darren Scott

Here is my set up
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    nice. gonna buy some bias lighting!
    As a cheaper alternative to the CinemaQuest you can also check out these:

Philips Master TL-D 90 Graphica 965

osram 965 de luxe