Thread: Post NAB...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Post NAB... 
    Now we're on the other side of NAB, I was kind of surprised that no one else managed to release a camera that matched what BMD started last NAB.

In fact really, BMD were the only ones to compete with BMD, by releasing two new cameras.

It seems like a lot of people that were frustrated with the delays and the deisgn of the camera hoped that a new camera would appear to show how it "really" should be done.

And yet we're here a year later and no one has, despite a lot of speculating in other threads here and elsewhere.

What does that say ? I think it shows that it's bloody hard building a camera and getting it into the market. Just ask DB. Or even kinefiinty.....

I'm pretty sure BMD had no idea how difficult and picky and vocal production customers would be. Let's recall their previous experince was post and post customers who have gear sitting on a desk in an edit suite.

So while there are still potential other cameras to compete with the specs and look of these cameras, I still don't think we've progressed much from where we were before NAB.

I think next NAB will be the more interesting. The big companies have much longer development product cycles and it's then we should expect to see their response to this camera. I guess the thing with BMD is that they are much more agile as far as what they are doing and very quick to get to market assuming a good sensor supplier :-)

JB.

Surprised there were no cheaper battery solutions audio meter firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Now we're on the other side of NAB, I was kind of surprised that no one else managed to release a camera that matched what BMD started last NAB.

In fact really, BMD were the only ones to compete with BMD, by releasing two new cameras.

It seems like a lot of people that were frustrated with the delays and the deisgn of the camera hoped that a new camera would appear to show how it "really" should be done.

And yet we're here a year later and no one has, despite a lot of speculating in other threads here and elsewhere.

What does that say ? I think it shows that it's bloody hard building a camera and getting it into the market. Just ask DB. Or even kinefiinty.....

I'm pretty sure BMD had no idea how difficult and picky and vocal production customers would be. Let's recall their previous experince was post and post customers who have gear sitting on a desk in an edit suite.

So while there are still potential other cameras to compete with the specs and look of these cameras, I still don't think we've progressed much from where we were before NAB.

I think next NAB will be the more interesting. The big companies have much longer development product cycles and it's then we should expect to see their response to this camera. I guess the thing with BMD is that they are much more agile as far as what they are doing and very quick to get to market assuming a good sensor supplier :-)

JB.
    I'm not surprised at all. Most of my posts in response to people claiming that Blackmagic were to lose their shirts this NAB pointed to a near-absolute "nope". Whom else aside from the GoPro guys stood to create something that even comes close? There were quiet rumors of RED doing something similar, didn't happen.

Maybe next NAB, as you mentioned dev cycles have come to a round about and we should see something interesting, but by that time I suspect another great announcement from the guys n'gals at BMD.

Only thing that's missing from their line-up? High Speed camera. =]

Oh, and something that caters to anamorphic shooting. Man, I really really hope for an anamorphic mode on BV1.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Where is it written that new cameras must be announced at NAB? Besides, are any of BMD's cameras truly "broadcast" cameras?

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    ... I think next NAB will be the more interesting. ...
    Word.

In addition to there being a dearth of new cameras to compete (in terms of features & price) with the BMCC, there were also none which compete with other popular cameras such as the FS100.

I fully expect by late next Summer (allowing for things announced at NAB 2014 to actually start shipping) that there will be several very interesting new cameras in the <$5K price range, and at least a couple in the $5K-$10K range.

I wouldn't have said this if BMD hadn't announced the BMPC-4K this past week:

At NAB 2014 next year, I think odds are much better than 75% that BMD will announce a killer "sensor in a box", rig-friendly, 4K (maybe 5K), S35, RAW & ProRes cam with >30 fps, and an OLPF, for under $5K (could be $4995 or less) including Resolve, etc. ... and maybe "just one more thing" such as wireless control/video I/O. Mark your calendars!
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 04-13-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Yeah, I think it's gonna take sometime for other companies to give up on the price-spec issue. Some are just unwilling to put in the R&D like Grant mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by mhood View Post
    Where is it written that new cameras must be announced at NAB? ...
    It isn't, and with increasing frequency they won't be.

To your other point: In addition to being a showcase for broadcast cams & related hardware, NAB has long featured products that aren't strictly used in broadcast TV stations & studios, but that are used to create programming that eventually finds its way to air, cable, or 'net.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    At NAB 2014 next year, I think odds are much better than 75% that BMD will announce a killer "sensor in a box", rig-friendly, 4K (maybe 5K), S35, RAW & ProRes cam with >30 fps, for under $5K (could be $4995 or less) including Resolve, etc. Mark your calendars!
    And we will cancel our BMPC 4k because it hadnt shipped and switch our pre-orders to the new 5k. I hope history does not repeat itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    And we will cancel our BMPC 4k because it hadnt shipped and switch our pre-orders to the new 5k. I hope history does not repeat itself.
    :-) It always does!

Quote Originally Posted by mhood View Post
    Where is it written that new cameras must be announced at NAB? Besides, are any of BMD's cameras truly "broadcast" cameras?
    Umm for years ? Cine gear has been announced and shown at NAB.

JB.