Thread: Can the late 2009 iMac i7 handle the BMPCC workflow (Color grading/Editing)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Can the late 2009 iMac i7 handle the BMPCC workflow (Color grading/Editing)? 
    Senior Member Useg Diaz-Granados's Avatar
    Hel lo everyone; I am about to loose my bmcuser forum post virginity hoping that it is not to painful!!!!!! (lol)

After witnessing how RED failed to deliver their 3k for 3k Scarlett I’ve been obsessed with the BMCC since it was announced.
    Now that the BMPCC has been announced I would like to know if the computer I currently own can handle the BMPCC workflow.

The Computers graphics card I currently got is the ATI Radeon HD4850 with 512 MB. I would max out the RAM to 32 GB. Apple recommends 16 but people have been successful in adding and running 32 GB of ram.

I also know that people (against Apples wishes) have successfully replaced the graphics card with the ATI Radeon 6970 that contains 2 GB instead of 512.

My extended warranty is running out soon and I am thinking of adding a 256 MB SSD (boot up/maybe apps?) and replacing the graphics card.

My questions to the honorable members of this forum are;

A) Do any of you that have more knowledge know if my current computer system without the SSD and the graphics card “upgrade” would be a feasible workflow solution?

B) If the answer is no is there a way to use a proxy workflow that would be applicable in this case?

C) If I, against apples best wishes (I would NOT DARE to question the great Apples iWorld domination scheme and do something that goes against their master plan) would the SSD and the graphics upgrade do the trick?

If the answer is no to all of the questions above I am contemplation getting the next generation Mac pro; but given their track record that model might see the day of light the year 204O right in time for my retirement.

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados
    Last edited by Useg Diaz-Granados; 04-13-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Useg Diaz-Granados View Post
    Hel lo everyone; I am about to loose my bmcuser forum post virginity hoping that it is not to painful!!!!!! (lol)

After witnessing how RED failed to deliver their 3k for 3k Scarlett I’ve been obsessed with the BMCC since it was announced.
    Now that the BMPCC has been announced I would like to know if the computer I currently own can handle the BMPCC workflow.

The Computers graphics card I currently got is the ATI Radeon HD4850 with 512 MB. I would max out the RAM to 32 GB. Apple recommends 16 but people have been successful in adding and running 32 GB of ram.

I also know that people (against Apples wishes) have successfully replaced the graphics card with the ATI Radeon 6970 that contains 2 GB instead of 512.

My extended warranty is running out soon and I am thinking of adding a 256 MB SSD (boot up/maybe apps?) and replacing the graphics card.

My questions to the honorable members of this forum are;

A) Do any of you that have more knowledge know if my current computer system without the SSD and the graphics card “upgrade” would be a feasible workflow solution?

B) If the answer is no is there a way to use a proxy workflow that would be applicable in this case?

C) If I, against apples best wishes (I would NOT DARE to question the great Apples iWorld domination scheme and do something that goes against their master plan) would the SSD and the graphics upgrade do the trick?

If the answer is no to all of the questions above I am contemplation getting the next generation Mac pro; but given their track record that model might see the day of light the year 204O right in time for my retirement.

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados
    I wouldn't invest a heap of time and money with those older graphics cards in that older iMac. At some point it's much better to upgrade the motherboard, processor and everything else as well, by buying a new Mac. You'd barely notice the difference between the two graphics cards; they're both a couple of generations past their prime. SSD might be worth doing if you can't upgrade the whole machine.

SSD (or Fusion Drive) is awesome, don't buy your next computer without it. If you can wait, Apple have promised a new Mac Pro (or similar!) this year. I've got a Mac Pro 2009 that still does really well due to an SSD upgrade. For what it's worth, I did upgrade the GPU (from ATI4870 to GTX570) and didn't really notice a difference in FCP X. Faster CPU and faster storage are both useful too.
    Iain Anderson, Apple Certified Trainer
    http://trainingbrisbane.com

Thank you for the quick response Iain.

I will take your advice and wait until the Mac Pro comes out.

Iain do you know if I can do anything with my current setup without the SSD upgrade?

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados

Probably not a whole lot. SSDs really help boot time, application launch time, and general responsiveness. You've got plenty of RAM (more than me!) but it's likely just your processor and general machine (motherboard, bus speed, RAM speed etc.) that are holding you back. The new iMacs are great, but if you're waiting for a Mac Pro, it's worth waiting a little longer to see what happens. This page might help:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com
    Iain Anderson, Apple Certified Trainer
    http://trainingbrisbane.com

Tank you for the info Ian.

I am at macrumors at least once a week waiting to see what Apple will do with the Mac Pro.

I come from the Audio world so I am totally green when it comes to the Video worlds computer requirements.
    Even though I snooped around here since the forum started I have a lot of catching up to do.

I hope the price and specs for the entry Power Macs are reasonable (# of cores,/graphic cards etc.); well I guess we have to wait and see what the great Apple has in the works.

I might do the SSD and the graphics card upgrade anyway if the BMPCC start shipping and we get to see actual footage if Apple delay the Mac pro launch (might as well add the graphics card even if it is outdated anyway once I gut the machine) as frustrating as that might turn out to be.

Not knowing a thing about video I presume that a 2 GB graphics card old as it might be is better then a 512 MB one.

I am one of those who are seriously considering the Hackentosh alternative if Apple don’t deliver sensibly priced Mac Pros (As much has I hate the lack of transparency at Apple I was one of the ones defending them in the late 80’s and early 90’s when they were about to go bankrupt; can’t stand windows; it’s a shame that there is no other hardware/software alternative out on the market; Googles offering into the hardware space seem lees then “brilliant” ).

Sincerely,

Useg Diaz-Granados
    Last edited by Useg Diaz-Granados; 04-13-2013 at 08:00 AM.

I used to own that same config that you have and Resolve would not run at all. It was perfectly fine running fcp x, even with 4k red files though.

I hate to ask, and I'm not trying to start anything, BUT what do you hate about Windows? It's only a shell and I spend my time working with files in apps, not screwing around with the OS.

One of my partners has a similar system to yours, a Mac Pro low on RAM, no SSD, and a non-CUDA graphics card. We're looking for low-cost alternatives to make his system more hospitable. Upgrading the RAM, installing an SSD startup and an SSD scratch disc (very important for Premiere Pro) and finding a CUDA card that will work are what we've decided on. You could just as easily make these changes to your current system. A GTX 570 is a great GUI card for Resolve. 16GB of RAM will be plenty for Resolve and his Mac maxes out at 16GB and two 256GB SSDs give you enough room for startup disc and a scratch disc.

If you were to be more open-minded and consider a PC solution or a Hackintosh or a dual boot system, you could put together a killer real-time 2K system for under $2K with two GTX570s, 64GB RAM, two SSDs, RAID, 12 threaded multicore processor, USB 3.0 and even Thunderbolt. You won't get that from Apple for less than $4000.

Build a Hackintosh... it's very easy these days. Mine has Thunderbolt, gtx 660, 3770k i7 and cost less than a refurb imac.

The cool thing is you can use your old imac 27" as a monitor for your hackintosh (or PC if thats the way you go) just make sure you get a graphic card with mini displayport or displayport.

google tonymac for hackintosh info.

I come from the audio industry as well and went the hackintosh path recently too. Now we have two of them at home and they run GREAT. I actually spend quite a bit of time dealing with the OS and i prefer OSX so that's why i stayed with it. I do have windows 7 on another SSD drive in my Hackintosh though.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Taking a Vacation
    Even if you build a Hackintosh what would you do as a monitor? Many people know the screen on the iMac cost $1K for anything comparable.....

Let me know people