Thread: BMCC MFT and BMPCC Speedbooster sensor size equivalents

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I posted this almost a year ago. This was before they announced BMPCC and BMCC specific Speed Boosters. All data was derived using the MFT (.71) Speed Booster.

EDIT: Updated the original post to reflect all three Speed Booster variations.
    Last edited by Brian@202020; 03-14-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Can you update it? I'm not certain on how to do the math. I also found this be to be incredibly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by f1lm3r View Post
    Can you update it? I'm not certain on how to do the math. I also found this be to be incredibly useful.
    Just did

+1 Thanks!

And I saw how the math was done. I wasn't understanding it at first, but it's simple once I saw you came up with the same numbers as me. Thanks.

An interesting thing to note, If you had all 3 BMD camera's (BMCC, BMPCC, and BMPC) and wanted the same sensor size, or equivalent sensor size, out of all three, you could get very close using two Speed Boosters. If I had all three I'd definitely consider making all three as close a possible in sensor size equivalents. It'd be easy to replace one with another and use the one that makes the most sense for any given shot. For example a 20mm lens should look nearly identical across all three camera's, just benefits and drawbacks would change between the three camera's.

To do this you would need:

BMPC:
    Sensor size = 21.12 x 11.88

BMCC with the MFT (.71) Speed Booster:
    Equivilant sensor size: 22.27mm x 12.51mm

And the BMPCC with the BMPCC (.58) specific Speed Booster:
    Equivilant sensor size: 21.52mm x 12.1mm
    Last edited by Brian@202020; 03-14-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@202020 View Post
    An interesting thing to note, If you had all 3 BMD camera's (BMCC, BMPCC, and BMPC) and wanted the same sensor size, or equivalent sensor size, out of all three, you could get very close using two Speed Boosters. If I had all three I'd definitely consider making all three as close a possible in sensor size equivalents. It'd be easy to replace one with another and use the one that makes the most sense for any given shot. For example a 20mm lens should look nearly identical across all three camera's, just benefits and drawbacks would change between the three camera's.

To do this you would need:

BMPC:
    Sensor size = 21.12 x 11.88

BMCC with the MFT (.71) Speed Booster:
    Equivilant sensor size: 22.27mm x 12.51mm

And the BMPCC with the BMPCC (.58) specific Speed Booster:
    Equivilant sensor size: 21.52mm x 12.1mm
    That's actually really cool and a good idea! 3 different flavours of cameras and all would be considered "Super 35"

Hi

Could someone tell me which ones of speedboosters would work with the GH4 when it comes out? and how it changes GH4's sensor size? Assuming MFT SB version will work. What about BMCC SB or BMPCC SB? Thanks

Brian, a correction for the first post in the thread:

Canon APS-C on 7D camera
    22.3 x14.9mm

Quote Originally Posted by rvrts View Post
    Hi

Could someone tell me which ones of speedboosters would work with the GH4 when it comes out? and how it changes GH4's sensor size? Assuming MFT SB version will work. What about BMCC SB or BMPCC SB? Thanks
    The BMCC and BMPCC Speed Boosters are specifically designed to take advantage of the reduced image size and short filter stack in the Blackmagic cameras. They can't be mounted on normal micro 4/3 cameras because of the interfering mechanical shutter. For the GH4 you would need the normal 0.71x m4/3 SB.