Thread: Chroma Moire Removal Techniques and Solutions

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I can still see moire in the bottom image... if you have PhotoNinja, try that.

I like LR4... but, in that area, just the color noise removal on photoNinja literally ripped all of the color moire out. At 100 in LR4, it was still there on the bookbag examples that I posted. If I had a full license I would export a few seconds to see what it does in motion because I feel like it shouldn't be that easy.

My feeling is that you might have missed those stills back a page, I already tried LR4, it wasn't completely satisfactory.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    I can still see moire in the bottom image... if you have PhotoNinja, try that.

I like LR4... but, in that area, just the color noise removal on photoNinja literally ripped all of the color moire out. At 100 in LR4, it was still there on the bookbag examples that I posted. If I had a full license I would export a few seconds to see what it does in motion because I feel like it shouldn't be that easy.
    Thats mostly compression Kholi here on BMCuser. on my monitor, the color moire is completely gone but the patter exists (with using just the color slider under details). It takes all of 2 secs to apply to a shot and get moving along in post. But while in LR, why not primary the shot as well, remove the moire, then move on. Not sure of photo ninja as a RAW converter. But, i'll look at photo ninja if there is a demo version.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    You might want to try PhotoNinja by Picure Code.

http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

It's an interesting and very high quality raw converter. You can change the debayer method to one that is more suited for cameras with weak AA filters. They also have Noise Ninja built in, which seems to be a great NR tool.

I think it's just awesome that this camera uses an open raw format! Being able to use different programs to get different looks is great and I really do feel that each raw converter has it's own look. You can definitely get similar results from each of them, but there are also times when you get a certain look that just can't be recreated by another converter.

Photo Ninja is definitely one to check out.

I know processing footage through programs made for stills is a huge pain, but it's been fun for me just to see the variation you get from different methods.
    =[ First page of the thread, man. Demo link right there, from Andrew.

I can also send this DNG for someone to try chroma reduction in Resolve. If Resolve 9 can do this just with chroma noise reduction* then I think my final issue with this camera is ... well... resolved.
    Send it through to me and i will try the NR in Resolve and in Neat Video.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    Send it through to me and i will try the NR in Resolve and in Neat Video.
    Seenntttt.

Just played with the photo ninja Kholi. Program stinks, sorry. Way to slow. What is happening is that on top of the demosaic of the file, the program is applying their noise ninja to the image. that will take FOREVER to process say a 2500 frame shot. You can acheive the save thing if not better if you start touching the "luminance" slider in LM. But again, every single slider will add to the amount of time exporting.

I'll play with it some more, on top of trying out capture one and aperture as I have both of those too. Too me, LR is the fastest and easiest to handle the BMC DNG's. Why, Because Abode created the DNG.

Quote Originally Posted by dustylense View Post
    Just played with the photo ninja Kholi. Program stinks, sorry. Way to slow. What is happening is that on top of the demosaic of the file, the program is applying their noise ninja to the image. that will take FOREVER to process say a 2500 frame shot. You can acheive the save thing if not better if you start touching the "luminance" slider in LM. But again, every single slider will add to the amount of time exporting.

I'll play with it some more, on top of trying out capture one and aperture as I have both of those too. Too me, LR is the fastest and easiest to handle the BMC DNG's. Why, Because Abode created the DNG.
    Sometimes, I'm not even sure we're in the same thread. Honestly.

I'm not commenting on what program is better. I'm sure the multi-million dollar app that is Lightroom is better overall, from GUI to whatever. I am commenting on how Noise Ninja handled the chroma moire on the bag image that I posted, and it did a better job in less time time than Lightroom 4 maxed out. Am I losing something in translation? It seems very easy to understand, but here is the point (broken down):

How does Chroma Noise Reduction affect a DNG "contaminated" with moire. Right now the comparison is between LR4, PhotoNinja (suggested by Andrew), and now thanks to Cap'n Hook R9 and Neat Video. I've already tried Lightroom, it doesn't get rid of it completely.

I don't plan on processing through ANY OF THESE APPLICATIONS as I stated several posts ago, if R9 does the same thing.

Hopefully, that helps to clear things up.

Sometimes, I'm not even sure we're in the same thread. Honestly.

I'm not commenting on what program is better. I'm sure the multi-million dollar app that is Lightroom is better overall, from GUI to whatever. I am commenting on how Noise Ninja handled the chroma moire on the bag image that I posted, and it did a better job in less time time than Lightroom 4 maxed out. Am I losing something in translation? It seems very easy to understand, but here is the point (broken down):

How does Chroma Noise Reduction affect a DNG "contaminated" with moire. Right now the comparison is between LR4, PhotoNinja (suggested by Andrew), and now thanks to Cap'n Hook R9 and Neat Video. I've already tried Lightroom, it doesn't get rid of it completely.

I don't plan on processing through ANY OF THESE APPLICATIONS as I stated several posts ago, if R9 does the same thing.

Hopefully, that helps to clear things up.
    Kholi, were on the same thread. Calm down. Again, what and why I told you of how your are seeing results in Photo Ninja is because it's applying NOISE NINJA (a very old photo noise reduction plug) to the FILE, on top of the demosiac of the DNG. Go ahead, de-click NOISE NINJA 3.0 the the program.
    What Andrew and Hook are doing is applying basically the same thing, a NOISE REDUCER. Neat video, great app, takes FOREVER TO RENDER as do ALL NOISE REDUCERS.

I agree with you Kholi, it's not about what program is better. But what you are not seeing is what program is EFFICIENT.

I've been handling RAW and de before you got to LA, Georgia. Look up the Betterlight back.

As do I, I do not intend to use LM, cap one or any of them to handle MOVING dng's. Resolve is MUCH faster of a workflow. But I don't want to rely on Neat Video either as that is the slowest of slow to render. We're looking for a moire' solution. THe VAF is the best solution with LR or Cap One behind that. You can always post sharpen a VAF'ed image.

As for stills converters I already gave you 2 ways in LR. One to eliminate the color moire', and another to eliminate the pattern of moire' . all in a very fast method using LR. YES, I said eliminate the PATTERN, so that is not just grey chroma free moire but luminance free moire'.
    Last edited by dustylense; 02-09-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dustylense View Post
    Kholi, were on the same thread. Calm down. Again, what and why I told you of how your are seeing results in Photo Ninja is because it's applying NOISE NINJA (a very old photo noise reduction plug) to the FILE, on top of the demosiac of the DNG. Go ahead, de-click NOISE NINJA 3.0 the the program.
    What Andrew and Hook are doing is applying basically the same thing, a NOISE REDUCER. Neat video, great app, takes FOREVER TO RENDER as do ALL NOISE REDUCERS.

After PhotoNinja Noise Ninja Reduction, Chroma all the way to the right, detail slider at 0:

Click either photo for a larger PNG screenshot and judge for yourself.

I can also send this DNG for someone to try chroma reduction in Resolve.
    I thought this entire thread was about noise reduction to remove chroma aliasing/moire in either application to begin with? =[ What is going on? Am I eating too much Del Taco or am I really getting old? Can someone help me decipher where the miscommunication is?

That's exactly what I slammed the Noise Ninja slider to 100... I don't know how to be more clear about this. Sorry, man.

We're looking for a moire' solution. THe VAF is the best solution with LR or Cap One behind that. You can always post sharpen a VAF'ed image.
    Okay, great, that's the solution you want. Send more emails, in the meantime at least a few of us will see where this goes.

Here are my results, as far as i can tell there is no way to isolate Resolve NR to just chroma.. the controls are crude as you can see here:

(Bottom 3 controls)

This was my process for the following images:

• Open DNG in Resolve, load my Config Preset which makes all DNG's use BMDFilm, do a quick one node correction to restore contrast (i didn't push the blacks very deep on purpose), saturation, and tweak WB/Tint.

• Export from Resolve as DPX (convert to JPG in photoshop)

• Apply Resolve NR and export as 16bit Tif (convert to JPG in photoshop)

• Take DPX (with no NR) into Premiere and add Neat Video. I did an auto profile which grabbed the grey area on left on frame.. i "fine-tuned" the profile by selecting the edge along the top of the bag where the chroma noise seems most obvious to me and pushed up the chroma noise controls in Neat video to 100 and reduced the luminance control to 0.

• Export as 16bit Tif and convert to JPG in Photoshop.

My DNG conversion from Resolve (No NR):

Large: http://f.cl.ly/items/142S3I1a0S2o3a2...90000_NoNR.jpg

NR from Resolve (i'm not sure i would ever use this for anything.. looks like the "Portraiture" plugin for Photoshop which makes skin look like plastic to me.. but to be fair i don't have much experience with it, but the controls are obviously limited, might be useful combining with keys etc):

Large: http://f.cl.ly/items/0S2x1g0K2P0B313..._ResolveNR.jpg

And the NR from Neat Video:

Large: http://f.cl.ly/items/0a232s3N3Q300l1..._NeatVideo.jpg

I don't think Neat Video did too badly.. i wasn't really sure how it would do as i've never used it for this purpose. Maybe it's not as good as Noise Ninja but i would be interested to see both in Motion. Personally i think Neat Video is good to have, get the Premiere version as i found out the hard way that the After Effects version renders at least 4x slower (it's an after effects problem rather than the plugin) as i own both. Hope that helps Kholi
    Last edited by CaptainHook; 02-09-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**