Thread: Chroma Moire Removal Techniques and Solutions

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    You might want to try PhotoNinja by Picure Code.

http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

It's an interesting and very high quality raw converter. You can change the debayer method to one that is more suited for cameras with weak AA filters. They also have Noise Ninja built in, which seems to be a great NR tool.

I think it's just awesome that this camera uses an open raw format! Being able to use different programs to get different looks is great and I really do feel that each raw converter has it's own look. You can definitely get similar results from each of them, but there are also times when you get a certain look that just can't be recreated by another converter.

Photo Ninja is definitely one to check out.

I know processing footage through programs made for stills is a huge pain, but it's been fun for me just to see the variation you get from different methods.

I finally got a chance to try this out with a DNG that had a fair amount of moire in it. The subject was a fine pattern (think jeans or backpack), the moire was pretty obvious.

Lightroom, Resolve, and PhotoNinja all look the same to my eyes as far as debayering goes. But someone with a more analytical view on this should do comparisons.

LR4's chroma noise reduction removed a fair amount of the chroma aliasing/moire but still left something to be desired.

PhotoNinja, however, removed damned near one-hundred percent of the chroma aliasing/moire and I sincerely cannot tell if it's impacting overall detail. Like, there's no moire whatsoever. Unfortunately, I can't export the actual DNG or a full res JPEG because I do not have a license, but here are screenshots from PhotoNinja, before and after. his was "test" footage from last November so Moire COULD be improved in the new firmware, I don't know how that would work but:

Before PhotoNinja, DNG straight out of camera, 28/1.8 Canon I think:

After PhotoNinja Noise Ninja Reduction, Chroma all the way to the right, detail slider at 0:

Click either photo for a larger PNG screenshot and judge for yourself.

I can also send this DNG for someone to try chroma reduction in Resolve. If Resolve 9 can do this just with chroma noise reduction* then I think my final issue with this camera is ... well... resolved.

*I understand that this is not a moving set of images, and that may also have an effect on how it works in Resolve 9. I would rather do everything in Resolve, to be honest, as the other software do not export DPX or similar. =[

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Links fixed, sorry about that.

Or.... We can call Mosaic Eng. and have them make a filter and stay in Resolve.

When I first heard the BMC was offering DNG I thought, "Great, I can process in LR which I've processed 10's of thousands of RAW's in". Yeah, for STILLS. I suppose if you had a shot that had moire you could process it in LR. But doing the whole job is LR is out of the question for me. Too slow of a workflow.

However, I am a self described expert of LR and a total wet behind the ears guy in Resolve. In LM, you could use the "local brush" (shortcut is K) which has a moire slider. paint the affected area and then sync the rest of the DNG's up, export as TIFF (with LPM compression to speed it up) and DO NOT APPLY SHARPENING or NOISE reduction and then LM will be a bit faster in the export. Sharpen and NR in your NLE.
    Last edited by dustylense; 02-09-2013 at 09:46 PM.

I think I'm in the majority that says "Sure, but if we don't have to modify the camera, why should we?" If there's another way, won't hurt to find it.

Don't care if it's an extra hour of post processing time, do care if the Mosaic filter a. reduces too much detail and b. compromises color.

There are a lot of things that can change from a filter.

Anyone who's actually up to finding solutions other than the hardware mod (whenever that may come around), this is the thread for that.

Done in LR with the local adjustment brush with moire slider at 100. Took 20 secs.

Pdi shoot_tb_2013-02-06_1018_C0000_000261.jpg
    Pdi shoot_tb_2013-02-06_1018_C0000_000261-2.jpg
    Pdi shoot_tb_2013-02-07_1246_C0024_000255.jpg
    Pdi shoot_tb_2013-02-07_1246_C0024_000255-2.jpg

Now on the second shot you will see that the logo got greyed up. This is where you use the local brush mask tool to help on that.

Pdi shoot_tb_2013-02-07_1246_C0024_000255-3.jpg

Or THE EASIEST WAY: you could just use the "color" slider under the "detail" section of LM, but that will leave you with a faint pattern of B&W moire (kind of the a Gh2 look). In either case, leave sharpening at zero and NR at zero to speed up the export of the 1000 or so shots you are exporting.
    Export as TIFF into a new folder, bring into resolve and resolve will see it as an image sequence, then export to your edit codec of choice.

I'd rather just have a VAF from Mosaic Engineering.
    Last edited by dustylense; 02-09-2013 at 10:32 PM.

You will be able to get rid of the chroma noise, but not the pattern itself.
    If I wanted my films to look like the real world I'd buy a video camera.

Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    Actually not concerned with the aliasing pattern, that's fine. GH2 had aliasing, but very little chroma aliasing/moire. I can live with that. At 3K it's MORE than forgivable to me, but when the color starts to show up in hair or clothes, that's when it's not good.

Of course, if it offends anyone to have aliasing in general, then that is where Mosaic would come in for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    re-read my post. You can get rid of the pattern as well.

What ever happened to the uprezzing solution in Nuke that got rid of the aliasing, moire, and chroma aliasing? That thread seemed to just die out with no final conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Actually not concerned with the aliasing pattern, that's fine. GH2 had aliasing, but very little chroma aliasing/moire. I can live with that. At 3K it's MORE than forgivable to me, but when the color starts to show up in hair or clothes, that's when it's not good.

Of course, if it offends anyone to have aliasing in general, then that is where Mosaic would come in for sure.
    Then if you don't mind the pattern, and can live with the Gh2 look. The best way is to use the "Color" slider under the "Details" section of LR. Put "color" all the way to the right at 100 and set the rest to zero (again to speed up the export).
    this is just using the above method.
    Pdi shoot_tb_2013-02-07_1246_C0024_000527.jpg
    Pdi shoot_tb_2013-02-07_1246_C0024_000527-2.jpg