Thread: Chroma Moire Removal Techniques and Solutions

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    J.F.R, this post is with reference to the Rodney Charters thread, and thought I would post in here to stay on the moire topic I wish to discuss further with you and other members, and perhaps revive in this thread. I do not currently use Resolve as my main post colour and grading tool/app, and perhaps you may be in a similar situation to me, so perhaps this thread is not the right place to ask you about your experience with moire and how you deal with it in post, if at all?

I have watched some of your music productions, great looking content and post colour work. Have you used the 5D on client based music projects and encountered the moire issue in your shots, and if so, have you abandoned the shot, or fixed it in post? If a post fix, care to share any techniques? If Resolve is not your app of choice, perhaps we may need to take this discussion to another area in the forum. I am not currently using Resolve other than slowly getting familiar with the Lite version, and I prefer to work from within my Premiere, and limited use of AE. I have a licence for Neat in Premiere, which provides a possible method to try and tame moire, as discussed and samples presented in this thread.

I am also curious if filters to some extent do what an OLPF can do? I have not seen any tests to use an alternate filter to an OLPF to try and tame moire. I am not suggesting front filter will do a similar job to a specific filter like the OLPF at the end of the optics chain. CaptainHook has the GlimmerGlass 1 (GG1) which may help moire in some situations? I am sold on grabbing a GG1 to add to my filter kit. I went to order a GG1 in 82mm, to match my run and gun filter set, and the anticipated wait was about 10 weeks. I did not order it, instead purchasing the things I needed for the BMPCC. GG1 is not a popular build in 82mm. I will purchase a GG1 if the BMPC 4K does not appeal to me when I see some sample footage, and then purchase the BMCC in MFT. I have various 4x4 diffusion type filters also, however, since I don't have a 5D or BMCC, I can't really test specifically for attempting to tame moire. J.F.R, I am interested to hear some of your feedback regarding dealing with moire issues in footage that you may encounter when using a camera like the 5D in your music video productions? Thank you.

When i next get time, i will try induce moire on the BMCC/EF and then do a comparison with and without the GG1 so you can see if it's something you'd be interested in. Otherwise i suggest trying to rent one if possible (i could not find one to rent here in NZ ).
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Thanks for chiming in, CaptainHook. I should have just ordered the GG1 when I placed the order for various items from B&H, not realising after that I could have split the shipping and have the GG1 sent later, perhaps 10 weeks or so later. I did not want to have all the other items in the order held up. I got the order wrong. I will order next time, and do split shipment. Interested to see any test you may care to do with the BMCC naked (with perhaps ND/IRND filters), and then with the GG1, and any other diffusion type filters you have in your kit (promist, etc), aiming at a problematic moire shot.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDelVecchio View Post
    Awesome! Glad this worked out. Of course, when Resolve 10 comes out, we can use Neat Video to play around with the Chroma and Luma noise reduction as we wish. I think I'm going to try Neat Video and see how it removes the rainbow moire. Having Neat Video in Resolve is going to be such a great addition to the tool.
    hey Paul, now that Resolve 10 is out and NR is done differently, how do you go about reducing chroma noise/moire?

Quote Originally Posted by django View Post
    hey Paul, now that Resolve 10 is out and NR is done differently, how do you go about reducing chroma noise/moire?
    I tried the new noise reduction honestly, I feel the old method is still better. The new one, I felt I had to increase it so much that it just blurred the colors so much and it started looking messy. I also like using Neat Video and it actually is what I use most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDelVecchio View Post
    What ever happened to the uprezzing solution in Nuke that got rid of the aliasing, moire, and chroma aliasing? That thread seemed to just die out with no final conclusion.
    Yes, what happened? Is there a way in AE or any other software to achieve this? Sent back my Mosaic Engineering filter, too cumbersome since we take photos too. I have a couple of 6D's and there has to be another way around the aliasing.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been combing the web trying to find some help with this (and I know this is a BMUser site, but aliasing affects a lot of us).
    Last edited by David Del Real; 04-22-2015 at 11:13 PM.

So, in 2016, is there a new preferred method to remove moire?

yeah I'm curious too!!!!

Any updates??

New tools perhaps?