Thread: Chroma Moire Removal Techniques and Solutions

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Chroma Moire Removal Techniques and Solutions 
    Can you isolate only color noise in Resolve 9 or is it an all in one?

After reading that thread where the guy saw moire in R9 but not LR4, I tried LR4 on a shot with moire in it and it the color noise reduction killed the minor amounts in hair that usually bug the crap out of me.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

unless i'm clueless at resolve, which i might be, i believe the NR is just all in one. you can blend it back with the original image, but it's nothing like the color and luminance noise controls in ACR

I think ACR does this spectacularly and have been really thrilled with the results when I toyed around with some of the raw stuff i shot. I'd love to see this control in a future version of resolve. maybe peter c will chime in on this, or someone with more experience dealing with NR in resolve.

I've heard quite a few times that people just do their NR outside of resolve in things such as neat video or whatever, where you can separate color and luminance noise, and that they do their NR before or after the coloring session. this seems like a huge pain in the ass for most applications though

These are the NR controls in the full version of Resolve (ignore the YRGB values above):

Granted it's node based so you can use all the usual qualifiers/power windows/etc to control where it happens but there doesn't seem to be anyway to do anything else that i know of. Admittedly, i still haven't even tried it since i've owned Neat Video Pro for over a year now.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

How does Neatvideo do for the moire??? Did you try it out?

No i haven't - point me to the DNG frame you want me to test and i'll do it tonight for you.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

You might want to try PhotoNinja by Picure Code.

http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

It's an interesting and very high quality raw converter. You can change the debayer method to one that is more suited for cameras with weak AA filters. They also have Noise Ninja built in, which seems to be a great NR tool.

I think it's just awesome that this camera uses an open raw format! Being able to use different programs to get different looks is great and I really do feel that each raw converter has it's own look. You can definitely get similar results from each of them, but there are also times when you get a certain look that just can't be recreated by another converter.

Photo Ninja is definitely one to check out.

I know processing footage through programs made for stills is a huge pain, but it's been fun for me just to see the variation you get from different methods.

Thanks Andrew, that looks pretty cool. I doubt it outputs to anything like DPX or such haha. But I'll give it a try.

Have you messed with it at all for moire?

I've only played with the demo, but I did try one shot that had some moire and it definitely helped.

This may be way off topic. Has anyone seen this video where the author is using reverse proxies to bring his CinemaDNG files into Premiere Pro & After Effects? He even pulls up the RAW converter in After Effects. You could theoretically use the Noise Reduction processing of Adobe Camera Raw on your CinemaDNG files this way without converting to TIFF or PSDs.

CinemaDNG Round Tripping

Copying metadata to a CinemaDNG sequence for import to After Effects. No TIFF or PSD conversion.

Cinema DNG: Using Lightroom and After Effects
    Last edited by Jon7athan; 02-06-2013 at 03:06 AM.

PhotoNinja is pretty cool... can't quite get the highlights to look like the 2010 version of ACR (my favorite) with the highlight recovery, but it seems you can have all the noise smoothed while still having detail sharpened. It must be doing some voodoo magic or something!

Also interesting, is that the BMC files in PhotoNinja are 2432 x 1366 pixels, not 2400 x 1350.