Thread: Zeiss Contax with Leitax Adapter

1. #1 Zeiss Contax with Leitax Adapter 
    I've been buying Zeiss ZE's but I found a great deal on a mint Zeiss Contax 28mm. So I picked it up. I added a Leitax adapter to it. It works perfect with the BMC. Still testing and building a new studio but the Zeiss Contax matches up pretty well with the ZE's.

I found the lens for $300.00. Adding the Leitax it's still a great savings. You can find them here: http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-l...n-cameras.html

Looking great Vegas Bob! Any chance of posting some footage shot with that lens?
    By the way, how do you expose your shots, just using the zebras? I'm curious since the Iris button will not work with a manual lens.

Cheers
    Film Director
    enricoatwork.com

I will post footage when time allows...

The only function you lose is iris control through the BMC electronics. I set the stop manually. It would be nice to have the ring de-clicked. The Focus Assist lines and Zebras still work and show up just like the ZE's. So I just use the Zebras to set the stop.

I think the 28mm is a bargain. The 50mm Zeiss Contax is a great lens but they really hold their value. I picked up a 50mm ZE on the evil bay for $540. in mint condition. The 21mm Z/C is also very expensive. So you just have to decide which one's make sense to you.

The 28mm may be the only one I end up with. I'm chasing a 24mm, I may go Leica for this one. i will also eventually get the ZE 85mm and 100 Macro. The macro on the 100 is just killer.

I shoot 80% in my studio so the primes are great for my controlled situation. Eventually I'll need a couple of Zooms. I bought the Tokina 11-16mm DXii but sent it back to B & H. I really didn't think the picture quality matched with the Zeiss very well at all. And then there is the infinity issue. I was also lucky as the 18mm Zeiss covers all the width I need in the studio.

The 50mm 1.7 is still quite cheap and sharper than the 1.4.

I like the Zeiss Contax's optically, I used the 50mm f1.4 and 100 makro for almost a year with both the AF100 and the 60d. I used the 50 mostly for interviews, and to tell the truth I'm still not sure if I liked the bokeh all that much. There are a couple different series of the Zeiss Contax and last time I checked not all of them could be Leitaxed, also as has been mentioned the 21 is extremely scarce and expensive (and the 35 f1.4 is not cheap). All in all its not easy to put together a standard set of Zeiss Contax primes (21, 35, 50, 85) without getting pretty close to the price of a set of 2nd hand ZEs or even ZFs. Also FWIW I had a pretty hard time getting over $300 for my mint Zeiss Contax 50mm f1.4 Planar, you see them listed for over $400 a lot but they rarely go for that. If you don't need the speed the f2.8s (and the 50mm f1.7) are relatively inexpensive, and some people say that focal-length for focal-length they are sharper.

Yes, they are. I have both the 50 and 85mm in 1.4 and 2.8, unfortunately the faster ones only in AE (but decently priced). Whenever I don't need the speed, I put the 2.8 versions (MM) on, I like both bokeh and sharpness better. I never went for the 35 1.4, the 2.8 is far cheaper. The 21mm Zeiss is inaccessible for me, but I have a Rokkor 21mm.