Thread: Using the Zhiyun Weebill S with the BMPCC and BMPCC4k

1. #1 Using the Zhiyun Weebill S with the BMPCC and BMPCC4k 
    Hey guys Zhiyun sent me this gimbal to test out. I made a video (no they didn't pay me) and I talk about what I like and don't like. The BMPCC4k does work and i even tried to max out the setup using a sigma 18-35 and nucleus N. But that ended up being too heavy for the gimbal too handle without having micro jitters in the footage (although it looked balanced and stable when i first tried to use it as the video shows) Anyways hope you guys enjoy, I will make another video once Zhiyun releases a firmware update so we can do focus pulls and control the camera using the gimbal like the GH5 can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxc-ufeRLVw&t=2s

Also... if your interested in the Weebill S, for a limited time they gave me a link for 20% off the camera from Amazon, they didn't give me a date on when this is active till so I would imagine till the end of the month.

well if you still are in contact with Zhiyun, let them know that the Pocket 4k compatibility for their gimbals is very welcome. Even if it's only for the gimbal's record button, that alone would be a huge advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil999 View Post
    well if you still are in contact with Zhiyun, let them know that the Pocket 4k compatibility for their gimbals is very welcome. Even if it's only for the gimbal's record button, that alone would be a huge advantage.
    So I did speak to them, they said right now their R&D is working on it and they also sent a Weebill S and HDMI transmitter unit to BMD yo test on their end. They said a firmware update will come for compatibility with the bmpcc4k they just cannot guarantee a specific date at this time (my guess is 6k too but only mentioned 4k as I asked about that specifically)

Why will one select the Weebill S over the Crane 3 for the BMPCC4/6K camera? The Crane 3 has better payload.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Why will one select the Weebill S over the Crane 3 for the BMPCC4/6K camera? The Crane 3 has better payload.
    Right now it would just be for the weight because the Weebill s is much lighter and if you use mft lenses it becomes a super light force of nature. When they release the update for the bmpcc4k the. For that as well. But if your using heavier setups then stick with the Lab and this gimbal won’t match it for super heavy setups like a sigma 18-35 speedbooster combo

thank you very much gfagien. Good work. I am also a Crane 3 user.

Literally a week after my review and discussion with Zhiyun, they release the update to fully control the bmpcc4k!

https://m.facebook.com/notes/zhiyun-...0405231566312/

great news. Do you still have the Weebill S? If yes, have you tried it with the Pocket 4k? Does it work?

I saw the ZY Play app update, but there seems not much change when connecting to the Crane 3 gimbal. No camera control.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil999 View Post
    great news. Do you still have the Weebill S? If yes, have you tried it with the Pocket 4k? Does it work?

I saw the ZY Play app update, but there seems not much change when connecting to the Crane 3 gimbal. No camera control.
    It does work but only with the additional image transmission module that is made for the weebill S. I put in an email to make sure that what I had originally requested is still happening to fully use the bmpcc4k from the gimbal itself (without having to use the wireless module as it will make the internal battery last even less time)

Also, they did say they are updating the weebill S for the bmpcc but they did not mention their other products so just remember there is no guarantee that their older models will be updated to work with the bmpcc cameras.

thanks again gfagien. Yes it might be the case that there won't be any more firmware updates for 'older' (Crane 3 is one year old) gimbals. Although it would make sense to update those gimbals, Crane 2 and 3 are often used with the Pocket 4k. The popularity and sales of these gimbals would increase. But who knows, maybe Zhiyun have newer models in the pipeline.

Edit: I sent a request mail to support@zhiyun-tech.com. Maybe other Zhiyun gimbal users could join in and let the development team know there is a demand. I believe it is only a question of a firmware update to make current and older Zhiyun gimbals compatible with the Pocket 4k and possibly other BMD cameras.
    Last edited by Phil999; 11-23-2019 at 11:31 AM.