Thread: Received P4K grip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Received P4K grip 
    Just got my pocket grip today. Have to say its a little heavier than expected. Has internal metal frame. Batteries clip in and out easily. Battery cartridge sticks if you don't insert it properly. Camera feels better in the hands now. Screen shows both battery levels. Id say its worth the buy if you freeball it hand held a lot.
    Last edited by iammuc; 11-12-2019 at 02:47 AM.

that's great, let me know how the battery life is after you test it. do the batteries drain simultaneously or 1 at a time? and did the grip come with batteries included or did you use your own? thanks

I will get one too. This is a problem with cages since I used one now.

I should be receiving mine sometime tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I will get one too. This is a problem with cages since I used one now.
    I'm sure they'll release cages that will incorporate the grip in 2 weeks max.

two generic eBay batteries recording 4k 25p 8:1 braw only lasted 45mins. Underwhelmed. You guys may have better luck with better batteries. Discharges per battery, when battery 1 turns red with one bar it looks like it switches to battery 2. its a shame its not trayless so it can be dual door hot swappable either side. those connectors don't help with that though.

i'm sure its about the batteries. in theory one sony battery should last about the same as the canon, both are 2000-2100 mah.
    on another note in every video i saw blackmagic is using 7.4 volt batteries, that why they even ship the camera with a 7.4v one. This helps alot on the last 10-20 percent, and this is mainly why almost every other battery cuts off prematurely, because most of them are 7.2v.

Don't use cheap batteries either one at a time or in a grip .
    If you want to maximize power always use original Canon batteries - specifically the new LE-P6n.

definitely agree on cheap batteries but hey BM did advertise why they chose sony batteries because everyone has these laying around, usually the cheapo ones =). Any recommendations for good third party sony bats for grip. I'm finding original black magic LPE6 batteries draining a lot faster in the last few months. would be lucky to get 20mins.
    All I can say is the the grip even with cheapo batteries gives you a good solid chunk of predictable power vs the internal original Blackmagic LE-P6's which would start off full then drop stupid fast in an unpredictable manner.

So I have a ton of DSTE branded NP-F batteries but none of theirs in the NP-F550 size. I picked up four new batteries with the hope of using them in this grip and I'm happy to say they seem to work fabulously! I'm currently running my first test with both batteries charged to around 90%. It's currently been an hour walking around, randomly recording short clips, and now recording constantly (in HD) for the remainder. I feel pretty agreeable with the 2 hour marketing talk from BM, at least with DSTE batteries; I haven't hit the second battery yet - First battery is in the red (25%) at 6.8v.

I'll do more testing over the next few days with XLR mics, screen brightness at 100% and generally worst case scenarios.

Edit: Camera turned off after both batteries were at 6.5v. Total run time on my first test: ~2 hours and 31 minutes.
    Last edited by PeopleCanFly; 11-14-2019 at 02:07 AM.