Thread: Why no 2.6k ProRes available on Pocket 4K or 6K???

1. #1 Why no 2.6k ProRes available on Pocket 4K or 6K??? 
    I've seen a few BM users express concern as to 2.6K only available in BRAW format on both pockets, but I've yet to get an explanation that make sense to me so please help. I only edit in Final Cut Pro X so BRAW isn't an option for me. I also don't want to shoot 4k and scale down due to memory and storage space. I'm used to dimensions not being exact as I've owned every BM camera since the Production 4K and even that wasn't a true 4K if memory serves. Am I wrong in thinking if the Pockets can shoot 3840X2160 Pro Res, that 2.6K 16:9 or close should be an option? I purchased both the 4k and 6k pockets thinking this would be an option since its available on my G1 and G2. What am I missing here???

Quote Originally Posted by spencerfre View Post
    I've seen a few BM users express concern as to 2.6K only available in BRAW format on both pockets, but I've yet to get an explanation that make sense to me so please help. I only edit in Final Cut Pro X so BRAW isn't an option for me. I also don't want to shoot 4k and scale down due to memory and storage space. I'm used to dimensions not being exact as I've owned every BM camera since the Production 4K and even that wasn't a true 4K if memory serves. Am I wrong in thinking if the Pockets can shoot 3840X2160 Pro Res, that 2.6K 16:9 or close should be an option? I purchased both the 4k and 6k pockets thinking this would be an option since its available on my G1 and G2. What am I missing here???
    I think it has less to do with blackmagic and more on Prores. I don't think it comes in 2.6k variant.

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/...hite_Paper.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Park Edwards View Post
    I think it has less to do with blackmagic and more on Prores. I don't think it comes in 2.6k variant.

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/...hite_Paper.pdf
    Yeah, ProRes can handle arbitrary frame sizes, 2.6k ProRes is technologically trivial, but any record spec built into hardware needs to go through Apple's licensing approval process, so it was probably just not worth the time and money that would cost.

Or maybe it's in the pipe and they figured getting the firmware out now minus ProRes was better than holding the whole patch up waiting on Apple.

That's a shame, Spencer. There's always the option of shooting 2.6K BRAW and using Resolve to process to ProRes, but I'm pretty sure the added effort and time would outweigh the benefits. The FCPX Creative Summit starts on Thursday, though, so who knows, there might be some good news on the horizon for Final Cut editors.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    Yeah, ProRes can handle arbitrary frame sizes, 2.6k ProRes is technologically trivial, but any record spec built into hardware needs to go through Apple's licensing approval process, so it was probably just not worth the time and money that would cost.

Or maybe it's in the pipe and they figured getting the firmware out now minus ProRes was better than holding the whole patch up waiting on Apple.

That's a shame, Spencer. There's always the option of shooting 2.6K BRAW and using Resolve to process to ProRes, but I'm pretty sure the added effort and time would outweigh the benefits. The FCPX Creative Summit starts on Thursday, though, so who knows, there might be some good news on the horizon for Final Cut editors.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!