Thread: Resolve freezes whenever I apply ANY color grade

1. #1 Resolve freezes whenever I apply ANY color grade 
    Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me here since I'm running out of ideas...

TL;DR: Davinci Resolve 16.1 and 16.1.1 freeze whenever I try to play a clip with a grade.

I recently built a new PC and it's been running great for my modest needs., but as of a couple of hours ago, I can no longer play any clips that are graded. This setup worked for at least a week, without issues.

PC specification:
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32GB of DDR4-3200 RAM and a Nvidia RTX 2060, Windows 10 Pro 1903

Footage:
    DCI 4K BRAW Q5 captured on a Blackmagic Pocket 4K

Problem:
    Whenever I try to play graded clips in a project, Resolve freezes and I can't do anything anymore. It doesn't matter how heavy the grade is, it can be simply a single node with one simple correction.

Troubleshooting so far:
    - made a new project with a BRAW clip known to work as recent as last Wednesday (grade with 8 nodes)
    - updated Resolve from 16.1 to 16.1.1
    - moved BRAW clips known to work from my external editing drive to an internal SSD
    - updated GPU drivers
    - rebooted my computer numerous times
    - rolled back GPU drivers to ones that worked

All to no avail. I'm kind of stressing out about this since I have no further ideas of what to try... I have not changed any settings in Resolve. Everything was working fine a couple of hours ago until I added a splitter node and experienced a crash. After that these problems occurred and I haven't been able to get rid of them.
    Last edited by okb812; 11-02-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: further details

Quote Originally Posted by okb812 View Post
    Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me here since I'm running out of ideas...

TL;DR: Davinci Resolve 16.1 and 16.1.1 freeze whenever I try to play a clip with a grade.

I recently built a new PC and it's been running great for my modest needs., but as of a couple of hours ago, I can no longer play any clips that are graded. This setup worked for at least a week, without issues.

PC specification:
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32GB of DDR4-3200 RAM and a Nvidia RTX 2060, Windows 10 Pro 1903

Footage:
    DCI 4K BRAW Q5 captured on a Blackmagic Pocket 4K

Problem:
    Whenever I try to play graded clips in a project, Resolve freezes and I can't do anything anymore. It doesn't matter how heavy the grade is, it can be simply a single node with one simple correction.

Troubleshooting so far:
    - made a new project with a BRAW clip known to work as recent as last Wednesday (grade with 8 nodes)
    - updated Resolve from 16.1 to 16.1.1
    - moved BRAW clips known to work from my external editing drive to an internal SSD
    - updated GPU drivers
    - rebooted my computer numerous times
    - rolled back GPU drivers to ones that worked

All to no avail. I'm kind of stressing out about this since I have no further ideas of what to try... I have not changed any settings in Resolve. Everything was working fine a couple of hours ago until I added a splitter node and experienced a crash. After that these problems occurred and I haven't been able to get rid of them.
    I also was having this issue. It was a Nvidia driver issue. The solution is the switch to studio driver and not game ready driver. For me my GPU doesn't use studio drivers so I had to roll back to one that worked before I updated the GPU.

You said you already rolled yours back so I don't know. Maybe try studio driver.
    Last edited by jambredz; 11-04-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

try
    - 431.86 studio driver
    - in the edit page "show all frames" in the pull-down menu at the top right of the viewer

!6.1 and 16.1.1 both freeze for me as well with latest nvidia driver (441.12). I rolled back the driver to 436.15 and it seems ok now.

Thread on BMD forums about this: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/v...?f=21&t=102152

If you do have the latest 441.12 Studio driver, you need to disable GPU decoding for BRAW or roll back to the last version until this is fixed.