Thread: The Feiyu AK4500 - A gorilla gimbal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    The AK4500 almost seems like overkill for a P4k, but I don't trust payload specs of, for example, 10.1 pounds.

Payload specs are like dynamic range specs. Take them with a grain of salt.

With a G2 I'd want a payload spec of 17 pounds or more.

We'll see how things work out for EYu.
    The AK4500 arrived last Thursday. I got to test it for 3 days. I tested it with the BMPCC 6K, Panasonic GH5, and the UMP G2. On the G2, I had it stripped down and mounted the battery on the dual handle bar. I used the metabones on the GH5. Tested lens is the Sigma 18-35mm EF ART. Here are the summary of my findings. Sadly to report, it did not work out as I expected and I'm returning it today.

My goal was to stress test it to see how well it carries payload of the 3 cameras, build quality, and usability both single hand held and with the dual handle bar. I weigh each camera with the lens. The GH5 was at 4.3lbs, the BMPCC 6K was at 4.6lbs, and the UMP G2 was at 7.3lbs.

Pro
    1. Lot's of nice feature that are not on the Ronin-S or Moza Air 2 (at least not yet).
    2. Lot's of extras (wireless follow focus, lens support, clamps for attaching accessories to the handle bar, remote control).
    3. Works well with the GH5 but does not have camera control (maybe in future firmware).
    4. Nice handle bar - lite and easy to carry around.
    5. Locking mechanism is nice - especially when trying to balance the UMP.

Con
    1. Advertised payload of 10.1lbs is not its maximum payload. I would say 8lbs is more like it. It handled the GH5 and BMPCC 6K without grief although it took me a while to get the tilt balance because of the weight of the Sigma lens which was front heavy. Side to side yaw of the BMPCC 6K wobbled once in a while and I needed to check and tighten things around like the lens support, etc.) I was able to balance the UMP but the size of it did not give enough room - it keeps on hitting the motor. At 7.3lbs, the motors were struggling and caused wobbling.

2. It was heavy. I had the GH5 and BMPCC both on the single and dual handle. The UMP, just the dual handle. Even with the dual handle, there's so much weight that my arms got so tired after several minutes walking around with it.

3. The workmanship quality is below average. The joystick manage to fell off the second day. Putting on the extension mount was challenging. The screw wouldn't easily seat into the hole. I was worried that the manfrotto quick release plate would fall off at some point. It was not solid enough for cameras other than DSLR (as expected).

4. I like the touch screen. The first couple of screen had things in English. But when I went on to select other options like the Inception mode, they were in Chinese and I couldn't figure it out. This was even when I selected to have English as the default language.

So there you go.
    Last edited by EYu; Today at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post

2. It was heavy. I had the GH5 and BMPCC both on the single and dual handle. The UMP, just the dual handle. Even with the dual handle, there's so much weight that my arms got so tired after several minutes walking around with it.

Told you so ..

I wanted a lightweight one hand gimbal, cause in my opinion, having a huge tubular rig, with a ton of accessories bolted on it, so you need an other huge rig on my body to support it and to prevent back pain, throws the whole idea of a gimbal out of the window,

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Told you so ..
    Yes you did. I think the weight issue can be addressed with something like an Easyrig but that was not in my current plan.
    I am wondering if the Ronin M will be able to carry the UMP. I did checked but it only had a max payload of 8lbs which for all practical purposes will probably work. There's also CAME TV. I've never heard of a stabilizer gimbal from this off-brand company.

It's almost 2020 and we still don't have a gimbal that can power the bmpcc4k and balance correctly without any shittyrigging. Wtf