Thread: Buying a lens with tiny scratches

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    715
    A few more grabs with this amazing lens.



    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    177
    Just to clarify, the Contax 28mm f2 is great but the "Cine" version as you call it, is an optically different lens, not a cinevised version of the Contax.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by jpblack View Post
    Just to clarify, the Contax 28mm f2 is great but the "Cine" version as you call it, is an optically different lens, not a cinevised version of the Contax.
    Hi,

    According to several references, including Zeiss, it's the same glass and the same coating. I'll try to look for those references when I get the chance. Anyway, it's an amazing lens.

    EDIT:

    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/...-super-speeds/

    Very similar, especially with the coating being the same. Probably a difference in the design as the super speeds were faster.
    Last edited by david evans; 10-14-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    177
    My dear friend, may I suggest you look more into before referencing inaccurate sources, not looking to pick a fight just trying to tell you that it's a bit more complicated and if really interested, to look more into it

    No source suggests that the Contax 28mm is the same optically as the legendary Standard speed. I had both, and they simply aren't the same lens. Both are great, but the Standard Speed is amongst the best 5-10 lenses I've ever used, it's legendary for a reason. Concerning the "Hollywood" contax version and its nickname most of the stuff I've found is trivial urban legends. Still a great lens though, I'm sure you will enjoy using it, congrats on getting a nice copy


    p.s. If you do find an accurate source (e.g. Zeiss), I'll be glad to read more about it
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by jpblack View Post
    My dear friend, may I suggest you look more into before referencing inaccurate sources, not looking to pick a fight just trying to tell you that it's a bit more complicated and if really interested, to look more into it

    No source suggests that the Contax 28mm is the same optically as the legendary Standard speed. I had both, and they simply aren't the same lens. Both are great, but the Standard Speed is amongst the best 5-10 lenses I've ever used, it's legendary for a reason. Concerning the "Hollywood" contax version and its nickname most of the stuff I've found is trivial urban legends. Still a great lens though, I'm sure you will enjoy using it, congrats on getting a nice copy


    p.s. If you do find an accurate source (e.g. Zeiss), I'll be glad to read more about it

    Well, that source I referenced, actually states they spoke with Zeiss about that. They could be making it up, of course, who knows... and who cares? And the comparison is between the Super Speeds and the Contax, not the standards. But it's an academic discussion, really. Most important to me is actually buying a lens whose mix of character and precision suits me and my camera. Everything else is just curiosity and probably urban legends as you put it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    177
    Standard Speeds and Superspeeds from the same era mix and match, they have very similar coatings. He also stated that the general design is the same but the actual design differs, that's true for every lens produced by any manufacturer, most lens designs within the same family (Planar, Distagon, etc) share similar design principles. For example search the story behind the Pentax PK 28mm f2 which is supposed to be a copy of the Zeiss Contax 28mm.

    In any case enjoy your beautiful lens, if you're happy with the results all these details -however fascinating- don't matter anyway
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by jpblack View Post
    Standard Speeds and Superspeeds from the same era mix and match, they have very similar coatings. He also stated that the general design is the same but the actual design differs, that's true for every lens produced by any manufacturer, most lens designs within the same family (Planar, Distagon, etc) share similar design principles. For example search the story behind the Pentax PK 28mm f2 which is supposed to be a copy of the Zeiss Contax 28mm.

    In any case enjoy your beautiful lens, if you're happy with the results all these details -however fascinating- don't matter anyway
    Yes, I've read about that Pentax 28mm. I love this Zeiss Contax 28mm because of its unique character without being full of CA and fringing like most "charismatic" lenses. And it's definitely different than the other descendants like the ZF.2, Milvus, etc. On our last production, I went back to the Master Primes, which are considered by many the gold standard of lenses today and it was the right project for that sort of clinical and tack sharp lenses. But there is this special look about that old beautiful T* coating that I just love. It's definitely not so "MTF correct" as the Master or Ultra Primes, or even the Otus or the Milvus, but that's ok.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    715
    Just a few more grabs to show how the fantastic floating element design makes this 28mm lens perform exceptionally well in close ups:





    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. New UM46 has a few little scratches on it
    By andrewmfilms in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2017, 11:04 AM
  2. Buying zoom lens: Need advice
    By TomJNewsham in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2016, 08:19 PM
  3. Buying a Lens Set for MFT - Rokinon VS SLR Magic
    By Simon Shasha in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 11:56 PM
  4. Buying an Anamorphic lens
    By Philipscott125 in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2014, 01:41 AM
  5. Need advice before buying a lens set
    By JIKIJI in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •