Thread: LCDVF for BMPCC 4K / 6K

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Took a quick shot for comparison between the original LCDVF BM and its big brother BM5 achromatic eyepiece lenses:
    IMG_7397.jpg

Some nice CNC machined components for the eyepiece:
    IMG_7388.jpg

And some random stuff:
    IMG_7394.jpg

All the best,
    T
    Last edited by Tonis; 10-21-2019 at 07:33 AM.

So you're from Kinotehnik? I bought a LCDVF from you for my old 550D. It worked really well. Light and clear.

I don't quite get this.

Did you make an original design that you printed yourself? And now this has been picked up by Kinotehnik? Or are you part of Kinotehnik?

As soon as the P4K got released I contacted them about a loupe, since I've been using a LCDVF since the Canon 5D mkII. They had no plans at the time. Then, a while back they contacted me to put me on their mailing list as they were developing a loupe now.

But Kinotehnik has been making loupes a long time. Why did they need your design to get their thumbs out?

The launch was planned to late September but has now been moved to late November, as they made some modifications. Do you know anything about that?

None of this really matters.... as long as they get the loupe out. I'm just curious. I did write on their Facebook page that I'd much prefer if the finish of the loupe can be made identical to their other loupes, or the body of the camera. The images I've seen of this design has looked a bit too "shiny" and "sparkly/glittery".

Please fill in the gaps of this story!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeOnline View Post
    I don't quite get this.

Did you make an original design that you printed yourself? And now this has been picked up by Kinotehnik? Or are you part of Kinotehnik?

As soon as the P4K got released I contacted them about a loupe, since I've been using an LCDVF since the Canon 5D mkII. They had no plans at the time. Then, a while back they contacted me to put me on their mailing list as they were developing a loupe now.

But Kinotehnik has been making loupes a long time. Why did they need your design to get their thumbs out?

The launch was planned for late September but has now been moved to late November, as they made some modifications. Do you know anything about that?

None of this really matters.... as long as they get the loupe out. I'm just curious. I did write on their Facebook page that I'd much prefer if the finish of the loupe can be made identical to their other loupes, or the body of the camera. The images I've seen of this design has looked a bit too "shiny" and "sparkly/glittery".

Please fill in the gaps of this story!
    I'm indeed the designer of the now-iconic, original, LCDVF and all other LCDVF models for different cameras/screens.
    It has been more than 10 years since the launch of the LCDVF for 5D MKII.

At one point it seemed impossible/impractical to design and manufacture an achromatic eyepiece for 5" screens as it requires quite a large diameter and thickness which is commercially hard to achieve.
    When the BMPCC 6K came out it got my personal attention as a filmmaker and I designed one for myself. As weeks and months have passed ever since the demand has risen even more for such a product so we began to gauge interest from our dealers too.

The finish on the photos is a galaxy black 3D printing filament for prototyping - no worries about the commercial looks.

Some have asked why it doesn't have a built-in diopter correction, the answer is because of the eyepiece to screen size ratio. Even when we add diopter correction lens(es) the image quality from edge to edge deteriorates quite a bit - read, blurred corners.
    But as with the original LCDVF it can be used with glasses, especially with the Bluestar eye cushion.

Albeit it will have a nice, decorative, element around the neck (black, once anodized)

IMG_7404_BM5.jpg

All the best,
    T

Cool Tonis, thanks for indeed filling in a few gaps!

And let me personally extend my gratitude for not only "thinking about making a product" (the first LCDVF)—but actually making one and putting it on market. Lots of people have ideas that never materialise....

The LCDVF has been a perfect product for me*: light, few moving parts, extremely easy to use with the correct amount of adhesion to the metal frame... and great "image quality". Looking forward to ordering my P6K version! The good Lord knows that camera sorely needs proper shielding for that not-super-great screen!

*= it's been indispensable in my use of the 5D mkII and mkIII, the Canon 1Dc and now the Canon 1Dx mkII.

Cool Tonis, thanks for indeed filling in a few gaps!

And let me personally extend my gratitude for not only "thinking about making a product" (the first LCDVF)—but actually making one and putting it on market. Lots of people have ideas that never materialise....

The LCDVF has been a perfect product for me*: light, few moving parts, extremely easy to use with the correct amount of adhesion to the metal frame... and great "image quality". Looking forward to ordering my P6K version! The good Lord knows that camera sorely needs proper shielding for that not-super-great screen!

*= it's been indispensable in my use of the 5D mkII and mkIII, the Canon 1Dc and now the Canon 1Dx mkII.
    Thank You, Sir.

Getting to the original LCDVF design was quite a ride. Back in the day when 3D printing was expensive and there was no Kickstarter available.

I found an old rendering of the different stages that led to the archetype of the most popular and countlessly copied design:

LCDVF_evolution_canon_5D_MKII.jpg

But it all began from here:
    Hasselblad_chimney_loupe.jpg

T

Looking good!

AR coated Achromatic eyepiece for the LCDVF BM5

Achtomatic_eyepiece_AR_coated_LCDVF_BM5.jpg

What do you think?

T
    Last edited by Tonis; 11-01-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonis View Post
    What do you think?

T
    Let's ship it! =)

PS. But I miiiiight need a diopter. Can I get that from you as well?

Let's ship it! =)

PS. But I miiiiight need a diopter. Can I get that from you as well?
    Hi,

It might be possible, depending on your prescription: Tested on my mum with +2: Was successful
    Besides our original diopter kit, one could play around with any 46mm threaded macro close up lens to correct for vision.
    Albeit all diopter lens come only in "+" positive increasements.

T

BMPCC_6K_24mm_LCDVF_BM5.jpg
    And into the production it went...

T