Thread: Veydra, independent lens manufacturer, closes up shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Not a win for the guy that developed, marketed and launched them. And in the long term I suspect for us as consumers because the development stops with the current IP.

JB
    You might be right John, but then again Meike is a lens manufacturer and they have announced the release of cine focal lengths beyond the original Veydra line due in late 2019/early 2020.

And Denny, although I admire your loyalty, enough of the virtue signalling, you've sold your Veydras and moved onto another system.
    The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Yes, kind of wish I had not sold my Veydra. I see an announcement for the 12mm, available 16mm and 25mm and the 35mm. What other Cine (Veydra) lenses are you referring to? I do not see the 19mm, 50, or 85mm Ryan had in the Veydra line. But you are right, I am moving on here...

7,12,16,25,35,50,70 and 85mm cinema lenses are slated to be all available by Q1 2020.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/me...lenses-coming/

Ah thanks, missed that announcement. Ryan had planned an 8mm, but it was never was released though. Traditional MFT Cine formats, based on Cine 35mm focal,lengths traditionally used, work out to be: 9, 10, 12, 14, 17.5, 25, 42, 50, 67 and 90mm. So a 8, 10, 12, 16/18, 25, 42 and 50 line up works, with 67 and 90 for long shots or tight close ups. A 35mm (I had the Veydra 35, hardly used it, and a 19/20mm works better for me to fill the gap between 16mm and 25mm, with a 42,5 for closeup/tight shots. But again, this is just me. I will be surprised if Meike actually gets a good working 8mm with little distortion released, that matches the IQ of the 12 and 16mm, which were my favorite Veydras, that I used the most. If I get another MFT Cine Prime, it would be a 16mm and 25mm Veydra, or the SLR Magic 18mm and 25mm MicroPrime, which the later is probably the route I will go. I have zooms to cover the rest.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 09-11-2019 at 12:38 AM.

It's just a matter of time we will see less of the MFT mount and sensors smaller than an S35. So we'll probably won't miss it much.

Quote Originally Posted by catscratch View Post
    You might be right John, but then again Meike is a lens manufacturer and they have announced the release of cine focal lengths beyond the original Veydra line due in late 2019/early 2020.

And Denny, although I admire your loyalty, enough of the virtue signalling, you've sold your Veydras and moved onto another system.

But....

How do you know that design isn’t also one that doesn’t belong to them ?

I don’t know the history, but I’m certain that there would have been a roadmap, probably a designed road map.

I’d never heard of Meike before Veydra. Did they make lenses before they somehow came up with identical lenses to Veydra ?

Everyone has to make their own judgement on how much they care about these issues but I’m of the view that generally those that put in the work and great something should be able to see a reward for that work.

JB

If someone had taken your footage, re-shot it it exactly, and then gone to your client you shot the original footage for and offered their services for a small percentage of what you charge, I don't think you'd be happy about it.

Ryan got completely cheated. Meike continues to turn the screws. This is not a question of loyalty or virtue. It's about basic right and wrong.

I find it difficult to read posts that suggest we just let it go. Standing up for this sort of behavior and having the attitude that it's inevitable is the reason these sorts of things happen in the first place.

Standing up for what's right is the only way we can combat this sort of deception.

Meike were established in Hong Kong in 2005. Whether it was startup or evolved from another operation on the mainland is difficult to establish for a non Chinese speaker. Veydra started with a 2014 Kickstarter campaign as far as I know.

You might know something I don't, but on the available evidence, there's an argument to support the proposition that there's more to this than meets the eye. We've heard Ryan's story (kinda and through proxies, mostly) but are yet to hear Meike's position. I've read (and/or surmised) all sorts of variations on a theme about the Veydra partner dispute but two things that might provide a hint as to what transpired and that is the court case appears to be over and Meike's rollout in the U.S has accelerated. This might suggest that Meike have a more legitimate position (either natural or acquired) than the current narrative might suggest.

It sounds like you've made up your mind as have lots of us here. Meike is fortunate to have you supporting their position. I think they have little incentive to promote the blow by blow details of how this has taken place? Ryan is legally bound to refrain from engaging in any conversation at all.

I'm not out to start a battle here, only to state that I'd hoped to find this place a community that stood for higher values. Not likely an argument that should be made on the internet.

Happy shooting.

Meike were established in Hong Kong in 2005. Whether it was startup or evolved from another operation on the mainland is difficult to establish for a non Chinese speaker. Veydra started with a 2014 Kickstarter campaign as far as I know.

You might know something I don't, but on the available evidence, there's an argument to support the proposition that there's more to this than meets the eye. We've heard Ryan's story (kinda and through proxies, mostly) but are yet to hear Meike's position. I've read (and/or surmised) all sorts of variations on a theme about the Veydra partner dispute but two things that might provide a hint as to what transpired and that is the court case appears to be over and Meike's rollout in the U.S has accelerated. This might suggest that Meike have a more legitimate position (either natural or acquired) than the current narrative might suggest.
    I know Ryan personally.

No matter if the dispute is over, I think it's still clear that the originator and developer of these designs, or at the very least, 50% of that ownership, has been kicked out of his own company and lost his IP.

Like on another thread here, it's sad to see the encouragement of the theft of IP.

Everyone has to make their own choice about how they feel, but I personally have some moral issues with supporting these lenses with what I understand of the background.

JB