Thread: imac 5k for grading question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 imac 5k for grading question 
    Hi Everyone,

I ordered the pocket 6k. Haven't received it yet, but preparing for it. I own a 2019 imac with the 5K display. I don't have a second monitor or output card. I will have to do my grading with the computer monitor only. Is there an affordable way to make sure the brightness and colors are somewhat accurate?

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thefilmaddict View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I ordered the pocket 6k. Haven't received it yet, but preparing for it. I own a 2019 imac with the 5K display. I don't have a second monitor or output card. I will have to do my grading with the computer monitor only. Is there an affordable way to make sure the brightness and colors are somewhat accurate?

Thanks for the advice.
    The only way to know that colors are accurate and to see the full gamut is to grade in a properly lit room on a calibrated high color screen from an I/O card/box.

With that said, you can get pretty close if you calibrate your monitor to rec709, since those are the colors the screen can display (and anyone viewing whatever you're probably grading), and leave Resolve color management settings default.

If you are feeling uneasy and want to check something export a still and send it to various devices to compare.

I calibrate my displays every 60 days using the Spyder calibrator. Getting a calibrating tool will help with getting your monitor calibrated for near accurate colors.

I saw Spyder. It looks like a great product, but the cheapest version is $169. https://spyderx.datacolor.com/shop/

I was hoping to spend $100 or less. I wish I could find the express version.

I saw Spyder. It looks like a great product, but the cheapest version is $169. https://spyderx.datacolor.com/shop/

I was hoping to spend $100 or less. I wish I could find the express version.
    The MacOS has different color space option. I does have Rec709. If you want to calibrate to Rec709, make sure to set the display to Rec709. Also, the SpyderXPro ($169) does not calibrate Rec709. You will need the SpyderX Elite. The Pro version will let you do sRGB and Adobe RGB. If you are okay with calibrating and using sRGB or Adobe RGB, then the Pro version is fine. There's nothing cheaper as far as I know of pro calibration tools.

A 2019 iMac will have a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port. You can run a second monitor off of that with a DisplayPort or HDMI adapter.
    If my wife's older iMac is typical there will be extensive color space emulation tables available in the display settings menu. REC709, sRGB, Adobe RGB, DCI-P3 among them. Set the display output to the color space you want before you calibrate.
    Don't waste money on cheap calibrators. The color filters in them are inferior and degrade rapidly over time, making accurate calibration impossible.
    Last edited by razz16mm; 08-28-2019 at 09:03 PM.

I just bought Datacolor SpyderX Elite Colorimeter. Not cheap, but probably worth it until I can buy a good second monitor. Should I calibrate in Rec709??? The videos we do go on TV (cable), Youtube, IGTV, etc... That covers a wide area.

I just bought Datacolor SpyderX Elite Colorimeter. Not cheap, but probably worth it until I can buy a good second monitor. Should I calibrate in Rec709??? The videos we do go on TV (cable), Youtube, IGTV, etc... That covers a wide area.
    Yes calibrate to rec 709. That’s the standard that all sdr consumer displays and television adhere to. Rec 2020 for hdr work and dci p3 for cinema projection.

There are other spaces for print and such that you would calibrate to in specific circumstances but if you have to ask, it’s rec 709.

Well your question is more of a preference and subjective to one's need. Calibrating is to get the colorspace you have (or are using) on your display to be accurate. At the end of the day you want to be able to playback and gauge color accuracy and reproduction on a "reference" monitor that is representative of your delivery medium.

The problem of calibrating your Resolve workstation is the calibrated colors affects the entire display not only the playback. So if you, for example calibrated your display to rec 709, want to use the same display to show your files in a Finder window (which are best viewed in sRGB colorspace), the Finder window will be slightly contrast due to the rec 709 calibration. Therefore it is better to have a reference monitor that is calibrated for the colorspace you will deliver. Having for example, a Declink card to a monitor or LCD TV as a reference monitor calibrated to rec 709 will allow you to work on Resolve on your workstation while playing back to a reference display for color accuracy and validation.

EDIT: Corrected statement on rec. 709.
    Last edited by EYu; 09-02-2019 at 09:14 PM.