Thread: Pocket 6K 1 Week Later

1. #1 Pocket 6K 1 Week Later 
    My 0.2 regarding the new camera from BMD.

First thing, build quality.
    It is a little bit plasticy
    0:34 You have to be very careful with this camera.
    0:38 On the pocket 4k I actually broke off the battery compartment.
    Blackmagic quality control/quality of design scores again.
    Not!
    I can guarantee it's going to be the same way on the 6K.
    I definitely wouldn't drop the pocket 6k.
    Feels good with small hands.
    That's good.
    Probably not good for gloves and winter.
    Selfie mode record button makes no sense since you can't see yourself (Where is that tilting screen? It's worth $200 more to build it in).
    3:08 Touch focus. It ain't DPAF but it's better than just being able to focus on the center.
    3:58 Menu button. BM has the most sensible and menu system I've ever seen. Let's hope Sony never makes a menu system like this. There'd be no reason to by BM if they did (joke). It is simple because cameras with more complicated systems have a lot more things you can tweak. Still it would be nice if those manufactures made an option for a simple system like BM has. The closest we can get is to have the ability to make custom menus in other cameras. But we have to do all that work.
    7:10 13 stops of DR. Hard to over expose. Extended lut not so good indoors. Good outdoors.
    8:25 Dual iso Nice low light Best BM best low light camera so far.
    8:43 Offset plat for gimbal. It's too wide.
    9:22 Rolling shutter.
    9:42 4 Stops highlight recovery. 3 with skin tones.
    11:52 Anamorphic
    12:28 Stills..
    12:08 Exposure tools. Wish they had waveform. It really does give you a lot more information.
    12:45 Wireless control. Too bad it doesn't have video feed. Other cameras have wireless video feed, remote touch focus etc. It's a start for BM.
    15:48 Audio.
    16:40 Battery life. Uggh. They should have designed it for use with a Sony battery not a Canon, unless it was like a BP-A30 Canon (And it's not that big of a battery). Those batteries can power a C200 for 2-3 hours of RAW shooting. Even worse battery life if you use an SSD. The battery grip/camera should have been designed to allow 3 batteries not 2.
    17:39 Menu system.
    20:17 Conclusion. I disagree with him on the build quality, tilt screen and battery life. I do still respect his opinions. We just disagree a bit.
    So many reviews are fluff. You watch them and they really didn't say anything. You watch them and wonder, what did they say that really useful? They're empty.
    jsfilmz reviews have lots of techno babble and also have user experience inserted as well.
    I've watched several of his videos, not just about Black Magic cameras and they're all well done and very informative.

12:30 Cages
    5:25 Portkeys daytime monitor

"I definitely wouldn't drop the pocket 6k.

If we're talking intentionality - I can say unequivocally, I definitely wouldn't drop any camera we've ever owned.

What cinema camera would you drop on purpose?

Wooden Camera has a EF to PL modded mount coming for the P6K.

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.56.32 PM.jpg

This is very interesting, perhaps I should have waited, but I pulled the trigger on the PC4K

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    This is very interesting, perhaps I should have waited, but I pulled the trigger on the PC4K
    You can get the P6K and have it as an A-cam and your P4K as a B-cam... and when you need 4K DCI BRAW, then you can use your P4K. Give you the flexibility of having both.

If I did not already have the Nikon Z6, I would consider that.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    First thing, build quality.
    It is a little bit plasticy
    0:34 You have to be very careful with this camera.
    0:38 On the pocket 4k I actually broke off the battery compartment.
    Blackmagic quality control/quality of design scores again.
    Not!
    I can guarantee it's going to be the same way on the 6K.
    I definitely wouldn't drop the pocket 6k.
    Feels good with small hands.
    That's good.
    Probably not good for gloves and winter.
    Selfie mode record button makes no sense since you can't see yourself (Where is that tilting screen? It's worth $200 more to build it in).
    3:08 Touch focus. It ain't DPAF but it's better than just being able to focus on the center.
    3:58 Menu button. BM has the most sensible and menu system I've ever seen. Let's hope Sony never makes a menu system like this. There'd be no reason to by BM if they did (joke). It is simple because cameras with more complicated systems have a lot more things you can tweak. Still it would be nice if those manufactures made an option for a simple system like BM has. The closest we can get is to have the ability to make custom menus in other cameras. But we have to do all that work.
    7:10 13 stops of DR. Hard to over expose. Extended lut not so good indoors. Good outdoors.
    8:25 Dual iso Nice low light Best BM best low light camera so far.
    8:43 Offset plat for gimbal. It's too wide.
    9:22 Rolling shutter.
    9:42 4 Stops highlight recovery. 3 with skin tones.
    11:52 Anamorphic
    12:28 Stills..
    12:08 Exposure tools. Wish they had waveform. It really does give you a lot more information.
    12:45 Wireless control. Too bad it doesn't have video feed. Other cameras have wireless video feed, remote touch focus etc. It's a start for BM.
    15:48 Audio.
    16:40 Battery life. Uggh. They should have designed it for use with a Sony battery not a Canon, unless it was like a BP-A30 Canon (And it's not that big of a battery). Those batteries can power a C200 for 2-3 hours of RAW shooting. Even worse battery life if you use an SSD. The battery grip/camera should have been designed to allow 3 batteries not 2.
    17:39 Menu system.
    20:17 Conclusion. I disagree with him on the build quality, tilt screen and battery life. I do still respect his opinions. We just disagree a bit.
    So many reviews are fluff. You watch them and they really didn't say anything. You watch them and wonder, what did they say that really useful? They're empty.
    jsfilmz reviews have lots of techno babble and also have user experience inserted as well.
    I've watched several of his videos, not just about Black Magic cameras and they're all well done and very informative.

12:30 Cages
    5:25 Portkeys daytime monitor
    Has got to be one of the nicest things anyone has said to me here in a while. Thank you for your kind words good sir.