Thread: Next Pocket Firmware Update...

1. #1 Next Pocket Firmware Update... 
    It was mentioned in the last blackmagic stream that it’s a couple of months away, BUT I remember he talked about gimbal compatibility.

I’ve just built a great ronin-s rig with the pocket 4K. With this new influx of BM money and the expansion of their engineering team, what d’you think this ‘compatibility’ will entail? Record start/stop should be a given, but am I stupid to cross my fingers for focus control on native lenses?

The physical focus unit for the ronin is a nightmare to balance and rig and this would be a god send!

For anyone who’s interested, this was confirmed by Kristian Lam on the blackmagic forum.

It’ll have start/stop record, iris and focus control among other features using usb ptp.

Cannot wait for this firmware release now. Gonna be killing it with my Ronin-S setup!

Awesome news. They keep improving it.
    I regard the changes in the upcoming firmware as a basic function-upgrade, but BMD sometimes brings unexpected changes to their cameras, so I´m already looking forward to the next big software-update for the Pocket 4K in 2020.
    I guess they might further improve BRAW in the coming months, so "BRAW 2.0" will be interesting.

I'm really looking forward to the new frame crops, although I still don't even have the camera yet. The Super16 crop should be about 2.5k which would allow standard 16mm zooms that don't quite cover to still be beyond 2k. Wishing the 4/3 crop would open more height in the sensor, but I don't think so.

A 4/3 would be nice just to make better use of the many 2.0 anamorphic adaptors out there. At 4k sensor I don't mind the res hit if I can get the proper aspect with anamorphic 1:2 lenses

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    A 4/3 would be nice just to make better use of the many 2.0 anamorphic adaptors out there. At 4k sensor I don't mind the res hit if I can get the proper aspect with anamorphic 1:2 lenses
    For sure. The 4/3 crop will still be over 2k, and a smaller sensor area is actually good for anamorphic adapter users, can use wider lenses. A larger sensor area would benefit those that use cine glass, but now that the 6k is available maybe it will be the go to for that use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    expansion of their engineering team
    Lets hope one of those engineers they hired was a quality control engineer.