Thread: HOW TO TRIGGER RECORD START/STOP ON A ZOOM F4 FROM an UMP ?

1. #1 HOW TO TRIGGER RECORD START/STOP ON A ZOOM F4 FROM an UMP ? 
    Hello Everyone , Good Morning to All . As a " One Man Crew " .. I want to Trigger RECORD START/STOP on my Audio Recorder ZOOM F4 from my Ursa Mini Pro .. The F4 has the capability to start Recording when receiving an External TimeCode . The " Big " Ursa has a TimeCode OUT Bnc Connector , and it works .. But the Mini Pro does not have an OUT TimeCode Connector .. only a TimeCode IN .. So does anyone know whether it's possible to Extract an OUT TimeCode Information from the SDI FLOW with the " SDI Arduino Shield " , or is there another Solution ?
    I Thought of opening the F4 to get the Contacts on the Record switch and make a Remote Control Connector ( and use a Lanc Remote to start recording on both the Camera and the Audio Recorder at the same time ... ) ... but well it's a bit problematic .. There would be another solution with a mechanical frame attached to the Zoom and two SolenoÓds or RC Servos to Push the buttons on the F4 ..... But not an elegant nor practical solution , and there would be some Delay , it would be a " Prehistorical Solution " .....
    Thanks for your reply , with my Best Regards from France ..

Mike ..

The Ursa Pro has TC embedded in its video output. Perhaps you could use a breakout box to split the TC and Video signal, to feed the TC input on the Zoom F4.

3. #3 EXTRACTION of EMBEDDED TIMECODE .. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    The Ursa Pro has TC embedded in its video output. Perhaps you could use a breakout box to split the TC and Video signal, to feed the TC input on the Zoom F4.
    OK Denny , Thanks for your Reply and Confirmation . Now , on the Technical Side , I feel it will be " Une autre paire de manches " , as we say in French , I would translate by " Another ( difficult ) Thing " .. I feel there will be some BrainStorming soon .. maybe a nice project for this winter .. The drawback of using External Timecode on the F4 is that it's then impossible to use the 6 seconds preroll option ..

Anyway , thank you , have a nice Day .

With my Best Regards from France / Mike ..