Thread: We may be getting CDNG back

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    It may no longer be a matter of if but when RED goes bust. Will BMD buy takeover RED to continue support and eventual integration or will everyone just happy to let it consign to history?
    I favour a takeover and make use of the existing techs and manufacturing at RED but the cameras and gears should be sold at a more realistic price than what they were over charging.

I love the synchronicity of you calling for a BMD takeover of RED on a BMD forum owned by Red's CEO

I don't think we will see cDNG again.

It's too old fashioned and unwieldy.

Think about the new pocket 6K. There's no way they can record 6K cDNG...pretty sure it would max out the media ! Same if there was 6K ProRes. What media are you going to use to keep up with that ?

We have to have some kind of "smarter" compression, be it bRAW or something else like ProRes RAW...

I don't think this is about cDNG, I think it's about ProRes RAW.

I think this is why we haven't seen ProRes RAW adopted by anyone. No one seems to have picked it up....Though DJI made a camera with ProRes RAW i think, and they seemed to have gotten away with not being sued ?

I'm sure there's more to come with this story...but I think the cDNG boat has sailed. I think BMD would have most likely moved onto something else anyway. As resolution goes up it just becomes more and more unwieldy.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    It was only a couple of years ago Apple collaborated with RED selling their Raven camera kits but its now no longer available. How relationship has turned sour in such short space of time. RED must be the most hated company. I think they are about to sink. BMD should also sue RED.

https://www.cinema5d.com/red-raven-c...ugh-apple-com/
    I disagree. It will sink BMD in cost suing RED and that cost will have to be reclaimed with higher camera and other products BMD makes - passing the cost to you and I. The best strategy is to let others go to the mat for you and if they win you win. So let Apple fight and if they win, then BMD can revisit what they could do or avail from CDNG to make BRAW better (if any). While others are fighting, BMD can spend their resources on making a better BRAW, investing in R&D on lossless BRAW.

Why would you want BMD to acquire Red? Completely different ecosystems. I think it would be awesome if they merged or acquired ZCam and kinefinity those guys are doing great thing with the hardware it seems but their software is way behind. If you put BRaw and the Blackmagic camera OS in those cameras they would be well covered.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I don't think we will see cDNG again.

It's too old fashioned and unwieldy.

Think about the new pocket 6K. There's no way they can record 6K cDNG...pretty sure it would max out the media ! Same if there was 6K ProRes. What media are you going to use to keep up with that ?

We have to have some kind of "smarter" compression, be it bRAW or something else like ProRes RAW...

I don't think this is about cDNG, I think it's about ProRes RAW.

I think this is why we haven't seen ProRes RAW adopted by anyone. No one seems to have picked it up....Though DJI made a camera with ProRes RAW i think, and they seemed to have gotten away with not being sued ?

I'm sure there's more to come with this story...but I think the cDNG boat has sailed. I think BMD would have most likely moved onto something else anyway. As resolution goes up it just becomes more and more unwieldy.

JB
    If I was BMD I would'nt say that. I would say it damaged sales and forced the company to spend massive amount of money on research to develop BRaw but would have preferred using compress version of CDNG as that was easier and better but RED tried to sue BMD from using. Then take it to court and sue them.

The entire ecosystem is a better place with worthy competitors. I know lots of you seem to hate Red. In my mind they were the ones that began the disruption with the Red One. They completely changed the way that people envisioned the tools for cinematography not to mention turning the cost upside down, at least at the time. They continue to come out with new products on a steady pace. Some are better than others but I think we can all agree they've added some great innovations to what we do.

A large part of their user base is happy right where they are. The hardware fits into their workflows as well as business models. And let's not forget that all the companies have issue of some sort or another. None of them are perfect.

I consider myself fortunate to be benefiting from the results of the marketplace. I came in when the BMCC was first announced, moving from a lifetime in stills. The color science and tools made it a natural fit that I've never regretted. Though even with BM it's not been perfect. But as each problem came up I found BM to be a terrific partner, keeping my gear working or just replacing it. They've valued my loyalty as I do theirs. I've also made some lasting friendships along the way. I know many Red users who have a similar relationship with Red.

If I'm scared of anyone it's Apple. For a company that began with a user base that counted creatives as their base of loyal customers I see little reward. Looking what they've done with the Mac Pro over the years makes me scratch my head. How many of you are getting ready to mortgage your homes for your next edit bay?

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Why would you want BMD to acquire Red? Completely different ecosystems. I think it would be awesome if they merged or acquired ZCam and kinefinity those guys are doing great thing with the hardware it seems but their software is way behind. If you put BRaw and the Blackmagic camera OS in those cameras they would be well covered.
    Kinefinity are RED ripoff, no?
    I think RED is much more feather on the cap to takeover than merging with the other two small time wannabes.

cDNG is a deadend.

Infringement or not they would have to do something different. The data rates are too high past 4K and the codec is too inefficient.

JB

I would say it damaged sales ...
    That's just your speculation, or do you have anything to back b this claim?

.. but would have preferred using compress version of CDNG as that was easier and better
    In which Universe was DNG "easier"?

While everybody is moving towards 6K and more, on what medium would you like to record 6K+ DNG material?
    Most folks having a hard time to find SD cards working with 4K DNG, and while CFast is handling 4K DNG just fine, I doubt they would be reliable at 6K or more, let alone higher frame rates,