Thread: Falling for BMD and Resolve is the first step. BMD raw vs redcode??? (I have reds)

1. #1 Falling for BMD and Resolve is the first step. BMD raw vs redcode??? (I have reds) 
    Hey I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. I've watched BMD from afar for the past 5 years and I'm just getting in on the action.
    I'm moving over to resolve from Premiere (see reasons why below) but that's not why I'm posting.

Looking for experience from people who have worked with 4.6k bm raw and redcode 5k and up in Resolve. What are your experiences like speed wise and grading both formats? (in resolve). Do you need to optimise media with BMD raw? Or does it fly?

I have a 1080ti, and G-tech 24tb raid connected via thunderbolt 3, 64gb ram. Could prob do with a stronger CPU...
    5k redcode flies in Red Cine-X with the new SDK. It's not in Resolve or Premiere yet and is still a bit chuggy. I certainly have to optimize red media in Resolve for anything with audio.
    Wondering if I could get by without doing that with BMDraw... Just thinking about the future of cameras for my business as well as post workflow.

Thanks!

I have only a decent iMac with the Radeon 580 Pro and an i5 CPU.
    It is playing 4.6K BRAW shot at 60 fps and compressed 5:1 in an UHD timeline (so, it's scaling) at 60 fps. CPU load is around 60%

A R3D file shot at 50 fps windowed to UHD (so, no scaling) plays not fully reliable between 48 to 50 fps. The CPU is at it's limit.

Further questions? ;-)

Blackmagic RAW is optimized for both CPU and GPU, but will greatly benefit from GPU in terms of speed.

You can download clips to test on your system from here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro.../blackmagicraw
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...amera/workflow

If you're on OSX you can download the Blackmagic RAW Speed Test app to get an idea of your machines performance here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/sup...a/Mac%20OS%20X

To give you an idea we profiled on an iMac Pro 18 core Vega64 with the following results :

4608 x 2592
    8:1 constant bitrate
    306.67 fps
    ≈ 12.7 streams @ 24 fps
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Thanks for the replies guys. Downloading clips and software now! Cheers!!

I'm making the switch to Resolve right now. Love the speed and UI. Love that Fusion is right there. Fairlight is awesome as well. My only reservation (and why I don't use it full-time yet) is that r16 seems to not be able to write to Prores yet on PC... what gives? Adobe released this update almost instantly. Is there something I'm missing? Extra codec pack somewhere?

No, not yet. Adobe must have a different arrangement with Apple. At BM's side only Fusion (standalone) is able to write ProRes.
    Why not use Cineform or DNxHR?

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    I'm making the switch to Resolve right now. Love the speed and UI. Love that Fusion is right there. Fairlight is awesome as well. My only reservation (and why I don't use it full-time yet) is that r16 seems to not be able to write to Prores yet on PC... what gives? Adobe released this update almost instantly. Is there something I'm missing? Extra codec pack somewhere?
    I used to export DNX 12bit files and convert to 10bit prores in FootageStudio4k. (That was my adobe workflow before they integrated prores).

I'm on a 100% Cineform DI workflow. I use Interlink (updated Footage Stuido 4k) for transcoding video files and Resolve for processing raw files. CDNG in my case with a Bolex D16, but I have played with footage from most available raw format cameras.
    I use Lightworks for editing. With a Shuttle Pro I have smooth frame for frame fast shuttling up to 10x, that's 240fps, and analog quality audio scrub up to 4x,(96fps0. Everything gets converted to 24 FPS Cineform HQ 10 bit 4:2:2 and 48KHz/24 bit broadcast WAV audio files before editing. Saves a lot of hassle with issues mixing different codecs on the same timeline.

If you are staying in a 100% BMD + Resolve workflow, BMraw is fine. Haven't had enough samples to play with to get feel for how flexible it is. Redcode at this stage is a much more broadly accepted cross application/ cross platform codec.