Thread: BMPCC 4K IR cutoff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMPCC 4K IR cutoff 
    Are any of you using an IR Cutoff filter with the BMPCC 4K?

Or is it not needed?

If this is already covered in another thread let me know where.

The search here isn't the best.

I'm using one. I'm seeing a bit more magenta in the blacks than I'd like without it. Don't know the Pocket 4k's specs on IR cut, so can't answer much on that

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post

Or is it not needed?

Hoya UV/IR Circular is the ticket

I kept my Hoya IR Cut/UV on my main lens when I went from my BMMCC to Pocket 4K. Like Keith says, cleans up the blacks a bit.

I'm using the Hoya IR Cut too.
    I think it's mainly relevant when using ND filters, but I just use it all the time anyway.

I'm always using an IR Cut filter on my lens. I use the Firecrest and happy with it since I got it for the Pocket and the URSA 4K.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I'm always using an IR Cut filter on my lens. I use the Firecrest and happy with it since I got it for the Pocket and the URSA 4K.
    Are you using the Firecrest 650nm IR cut? Do you have nice skin tones that aren't pale? I remember John Brawley mentioning once that it's important not to cut off the IR too low, because it cuts in to the visible spectrum where skin tones reside. The Hoya cuts above 700nm, which I found to be adequate. However, since the Hoya is screw on, if you stack ND or Variable ND on top of it, you sometimes will get contrast reduction or strange flaring because of the IR Cut's reflective dichroic coating. Kinda makes the classic sun flares shot challenging sometimes. So the way to go is with the IR cut in front of all ND. Wish the Schneider True-cut weren't so expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post

Or is it not needed?

It probably is a good idea to use something.

It's hard because IR filters don't hard cut into IR< they roll it off and you don't want to take away too much visible red, because it screws with skin tones.

I like the Rawlite OLPF's as IR filters, because I think they get that balance just right. I mostly instal them for that reason alone more than as an OLPF.

I might be blowing his announcement (sorry hans !) but he's working on one for the P4K.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    It probably is a good idea to use something.

It's hard because IR filters don't hard cut into IR< they roll it off and you don't want to take away too much visible red, because it screws with skin tones.

I like the Rawlite OLPF's as IR filters, because I think they get that balance just right. I mostly instal them for that reason alone more than as an OLPF.

I might be blowing his announcement (sorry hans !) but he's working on one for the P4K.

JB
    This is a great idea. The question or thought I have is that if I'm not mistaken it voids the warranty. If anyone has clout on this matter it's you. We're kinda stuck in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    Are you using the Firecrest 650nm IR cut? Do you have nice skin tones that aren't pale? I remember John Brawley mentioning once that it's important not to cut off the IR too low, because it cuts in to the visible spectrum where skin tones reside. The Hoya cuts above 700nm, which I found to be adequate. However, since the Hoya is screw on, if you stack ND or Variable ND on top of it, you sometimes will get contrast reduction or strange flaring because of the IR Cut's reflective dichroic coating. Kinda makes the classic sun flares shot challenging sometimes. So the way to go is with the IR cut in front of all ND. Wish the Schneider True-cut weren't so expensive.
    I don't find it in the specs. So far it's been good and not cutting visible spectrum where skin tones reside. I've heard a lot of good things about the Hoya as well.