Thread: Why I'm glad I ordered Blackmagic Pocket 6K

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfre View Post
    Received my 6k camera today. The body of the camera has a few scuff marks on it as if it was a demo or something...
    Where did you purchase it from?

Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Got mine yesterday and I'm still testing it out. So far it's looking nice but I am noticing more rolling shutter than the 4k has. But it is a larger sensor so I guess that makes sense.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986797958
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rolling shutter times are impressive for a 6K camera. Again, I'm writing from memory but it looks like the 2.8k high frame rate mode's read out beats all other cameras including the Alexa. Filming 2.8k RAW would give perfect 2k and with post processing allow to adjust the shutter angle at will! This is stuff I wouldn't have dared even dream about when I bought my first camcorder 18 years ago - and now it's available for what a prosumer camera retailed for two decades ago! Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by SottoTerra View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rolling shutter times are impressive for a 6K camera. Again, I'm writing from memory but it looks like the 2.8k high frame rate mode's read out beats all other cameras including the Alexa. Filming 2.8k RAW would give perfect 2k and with post processing allow to adjust the shutter angle at will! This is stuff I wouldn't have dared even dream about when I bought my first camcorder 18 years ago - and now it's available for what a prosumer camera retailed for two decades ago! Wow!!
    Don't forget that 2.8k is window mode only.

Quote Originally Posted by SottoTerra View Post
    Again, I'm writing from memory but it looks like the 2.8k high frame rate mode's read out beats all other cameras including the Alexa.
    A quick way to get a rough idea of minimum read out speed is look at the max frame rate for a crop - Alexa Mini can do 200fps. 1000ms/200fps = 5ms read out speed minimum (as in slowest it can be) needed for that frame rate.
    1000ms/120fps = 8.3ms which we do slightly faster on the P6K at 7.98ms for the 2.8k 120fps. The 2K crop mode on the URSA Mini Pro G2 is 3.16ms (300fps = 3.33ms minimum) and 7.59ms for the full 4.6K (faster than P6K 2.8 crop) - these numbers for the G2 are on my link above on the page prior.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by core_50 View Post
    Don't forget that 2.8k is window mode only.
    You just bust his bubble

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    A quick way to get a rough idea of minimum read out speed is look at the max frame rate for a crop - Alexa Mini can do 200fps. 1000ms/200fps = 5ms read out speed minimum (as in slowest it can be) needed for that frame rate.
    1000ms/120fps = 8.3ms which we do slightly faster on the P6K at 7.98ms for the 2.8k 120fps. The 2K crop mode on the URSA Mini Pro G2 is 3.16ms (300fps = 3.33ms minimum) and 7.59ms for the full 4.6K (faster than P6K 2.8 crop) - these numbers for the G2 are on my link above on the page prior.
    All things considerd the G2 is better value for money than P6K in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    You just bust his bubble

Not at all, I knew 2.8k was not for the full sensor - it's roughly on the same lines as the original pocket and the original cinema camera - so it's most definitely not a show stopper! And the Alexa's resolution is about 2.8k, so if not faster, it's definitely in the top-tier of cinema cameras. Considering the Alexa's five figure price tag, plus the extra fee to unlock high frame rates, the 6k's asking price is a gift from Kangaroo Land! Again, the real game changer for me is being able to ramp up or change the shutter angle at will in post - just as easily as exposure and colour can be adjusted today!

The Ursa Mini is undoubtedly even better, but it's far bigger, more expensive and needs heavy duty V-lock batteries. For me, even $2.5k for the 6k is a stretch, and need to save up for it, but it's looking more and more worth it by the minute!
    Last edited by SottoTerra; 08-14-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Did you not say it beats all other cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Where did you purchase it from?
    I purchased from Adorama immediately following the conference.