Thread: Why I'm glad I ordered Blackmagic Pocket 6K

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why I'm glad I ordered Blackmagic Pocket 6K 
    After spending the day shooting with the 6K and 4K, I thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

The 6K is an improvement in every way - detail, motion, noise, highlight roll off, tonality and color are all improved over the 4K. It feels like the G2 of the Pocket cams, tweaked and improved in a lot of little ways that makes for a better image overall.

Some findings that I didn't expect:

- 4K noise in low light at 3200 is muddier, with less detail and more chroma noise than the 6K. It's not a huge difference so definitely don't feel like your missing out if you're staying with the 4K, but I am seeing the difference. At the same ISO and f-stop, I prefer the 6K image in low light over the 4K with a speed booster (ex. 6K at f5.6 & 3200iso vs 4K at f5.6 (f4.0 boosted) at 3200iso). The image will be brighter with the speed booster on the pocket, but the noise doesn't look as nice.

- 2.8K at 120fps is AMAZING. Much better than the 4K's 120fps at HD.

- I'm glad to be done with speed boosters.

- If I needed a 3rd cam, I'd get another 6K and not a 4K.

Awesome. Looking forward to color science comparisons between the Ursa G2, Alexa, and Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam E View Post

The 6K is an improvement in every way - detail, motion, noise, highlight roll off, tonality and color are all improved over the 4K. It feels like the G2 of the Pocket cams, tweaked and improved in a lot of little ways that makes for a better image overall.

I got my 6K today. I agree. The image is smooth and gorgeous. I'm impressed with how nice the UHD ProRes scales from the 6K full sensor. I haven't been able to provoke moire, it was real easy with the Pocket 4K. The bokeh on the 6K, compared to the Pocket 4K with a speedbooster is so much better. Bigger bokeh balls. Blackmagic hit it out of the ballpark again.

After spending the day shooting with the 6K and 4K, I thought I'd share some initial thoughts.

- 4K noise in low light at 3200 is muddier, with less detail and more chroma noise than the 6K. It's not a huge difference so definitely don't feel like your missing out if you're staying with the 4K, but I am seeing the difference. At the same ISO and f-stop, I prefer the 6K image in low light over the 4K with a speed booster (ex. 6K at f5.6 & 3200iso vs 4K at f5.6 (f4.0 boosted) at 3200iso). The image will be brighter with the speed booster on the pocket, but the noise doesn't look as nice.

- 2.8K at 120fps is AMAZING. Much better than the 4K's 120fps at HD.

- I'm glad to be done with speed boosters.

- If I needed a 3rd cam, I'd get another 6K and not a 4K.
    Impressed by what I've seen so far, if it has the original Pockets highlight roll off and dynamic range I'll definitely go for one! Looking forward to using my EF glass, both native and adapted, without speedboosters. Don't need 4K, hope 2k ProRes HQ downscaled from the full the 6k sensor will be added eventually. An interesting comparison video would be side by side with the original BMCC. Besides the larger sensor and improved resolution, I'm curious how the dynamic range and colour will hold up to the original - and how much highlights and shadows can be recovered from over/under exposure. In other words a 6k Sony vs 2.5k Fairchild sensor shootout!

In any case, I'm saving up to purchase the 6k next year.
    Last edited by SottoTerra; 08-13-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Would love to see some side by side comparisons if you have the time!

Would also love to see the difference in tonality and color.

You do not need to use a SB with the Pocket 4K unless you want to use EF lenses, then you might as well get the Pocket 6K.
    But for us MFT users, their is a lot of WA lens options, in native MFT and PL mounts, like the Tokina Cine 11-20, SLR Magic 10mm, and the Oly 12-100 Zoom to name a few. Unlike the previous MFT mount smaller sensor offerings from BMD, the Pocket 4K does not need super fast lenses, or the added exposure you get from a SB. Native f/1.2 and 1.4 lenses are available for shallow DOF (a SB does not change the DoF of a given lens), like the new Pana Leica 10-25 f/1.7 and the PL 42.5 f/1.2.
    Cheers

Got mine yesterday and I'm still testing it out. So far it's looking nice but I am noticing more rolling shutter than the 4k has. But it is a larger sensor so I guess that makes sense.

Make sure to check your 6K sensor. Mine had what appears to be a fingerprint on it. This is totally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pultzar2 View Post
    Make sure to check your 6K sensor. Mine had what appears to be a fingerprint on it. This is totally unacceptable.
    Received my 6k camera today. The body of the camera has a few scuff marks on it as if it was a demo or something...