Thread: Why I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    I expect you'll have to shoot ProRes to get full sensor at 4k.
    This, 4K DCI or UHD with BRAW will crop in on the sensor.

My only hang up is form factor. I wish BM had given this sensor a more ENG style body instead of a DSLR one. With it being S35 I donít see why it couldnít be slapped into an UMP body and sold for $3,500, like they did with the Ursa Broadcast.

I love what the Pocket is, but itís a pain to rig up for long term shooting. BMís first 6K sensor should have had a better form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Which is why I think we could have done without this thread. The people who are comfortable being early adopters are going to buy and those that aren't will wait. On today of all days we should focus on the postives... of which there are many.

Given what the engineers at Blackmagic have given us I think we shouldn't be negative on day one.
    On the contrary, post like this do good in the following ways:
    1. Make buyers aware of what they get into with Gen 1 cameras and save them from the grief and bad mouthing the product from their first hand experience later own. The latter puts more harm to the viability of the product.
    2. Put the BMD engineers on notice that they have to up their game with quality as their mantra from the get go.

Hopefully we will hear reports of pleasant experiences with the P6K earlier on and will boost purchase confidence early too. This is what constructive criticism is.

If its the same price as the BMPCC 4K I might consider but not twice the price.
    TBH had the 4k and 6k both came out the same time at their respective prices I would have got the 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    My only hang up is form factor. I wish BM had given this sensor a more ENG style body instead of a DSLR one. With it being S35 I donít see why it couldnít be slapped into an UMP body and sold for $3,500, like they did with the Ursa Broadcast.

I love what the Pocket is, but itís a pain to rig up for long term shooting. BMís first 6K sensor should have had a better form factor.
    Than you have all the - meh doesn't fit on a gimbal, meh to big/heavy - slows me down, meh why not modular - complaints.

I'm pretty sure, we will see higher resolution sensors in a Ursa form factor. Good things come on those who wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    If its the same price as the BMPCC 4K I might consider but not twice the price.
    TBH had the 4k and 6k both came out the same time at their respective prices I would have got the 4k.
    I agree the price is a bit steep for [what is] kind of a sensor upgrade (well I won't debate what else). Probably should have went for $1995 which is closer to the price of a P4K + Metabones. But this is a muted debate at this point and just suck up the $2495 price.

The BMPCC 6K should have had faster frame rate options, maybe not G2 level but somewhere in between that and BMPCC 4K say 80-100 fps at higher resolution and 120-200 fps at 1080p and 14 stops of DR. It might then be a $3,000 camera but that would make more sense.

Unusual for BMD to push the BMPCC 6K out now but it make sense to make way for the 8K LF announcement at NAB next year.

I waited on buying both my 2.5K and my 4.6K camera to let them sort out the QC issues, but as fast as they are churning out new models these days, I think I'm gonna try to be an early adopter of the 6K to maximize the rental income window. It's already a crowded market out here, and with each new camera, the market rental price on old models drops pretty fast, so I'm thinking of jumping on this one quick, and get it paid for within the first 6-12 months, before the URSA Mini 6K, or whatever next new fangled camera will be, drops.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I agree the price is a bit steep for [what is] kind of a sensor upgrade (well I won't debate what else). Probably should have went for $1995 which is closer to the price of a P4K + Metabones. But this is a muted debate at this point and just suck up the $2495 price.
    Compressed raw shooting, 13 stops DR, S35mm, 6K camera.

Look how far BMD pushed the boundaries that people are complaining about such a camera being $2.5K. That price is absurdly cheap, pls remember what the game was before BMD.