Thread: Why I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K? 
    The Blackmagic Pocket 6K has amazing features, a game changer, and no doubt the camera I always dreamt that BMD will come out with. However, I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K... not yet.

It's not news to many if not every BMD camera owners that BMD first batch of cameras usually comes with problems - either a firmware correctable issue or worse a hardware problem that will require an RMA. So I'll let the early birds go ahead and fall in line for the pre-orders and when they have done the beta-testing for me, usually in about 4-6 months when BMD addresses 95% of the issues from complaints and RMA, that's the time to buy it. I'm sure it will be a go by then and I'll have mine - all working and less stress.

Sound advice. Don't always need to be on the bleeding edge. Realistically it will be at least that long before readily available in Canada, Ha ha, still can't just call a dealer and get a 4k in stock. This may ease some demand on the 4k though, as most users seem to add speed boosters and shoot ef lenses.

I'm on the fence I have a modest investment in MFT lenses for my original Pocket, all of my vintage lenses can adapt to either. I honestly can't see me needing more than 4k any time soon. The data rates at 6k are a big jump. Also the body is nearly twice the price, so you can have 2 4k for same budget.

The 4k is a mature product at this point, even though they are still hard to get.

I think if they used a mirrorless mount it would be more tempting. The 4k can adapt to PL if on a big shoot with rented lenses.

Have to say here that I got a couple of the 4K at the very beginning of the shipments. I think that makes about a year now. Have worked them super hard. They've worked perfectly at least for me. Just sayin'.

The pocket 4K is plenty for me now but I plan to get the 6K when it is ready and battle tested. I use the P4K as my cam B with my UMP G2 which is awesome. Since I got the P4K and G2, I shot two paid short narratives that's in post production now. When the time comes, I'll sell the P4K with the speed booster and a couple of my MFT lenses - that will almost cover the new P6K. I got a number of EF lenses. Too bad the P6K doesn't have an interchangeable lens mount like the UMP G2, which I use for PL mount.

I would probably never have a need for a 6K camera - I don't shoot nature documentaries or high-res CGI Plates.

Sweet looking camera though.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I would image the 4K taught them a few things. And they have ample experience with the Super 35 format so I think the camera’s good.

I’m getting it for sure but not to shoot at 6k. If the 4K mode is full sensor which I imagine then I’m good.

Nice to see BMD keeping the industry competitive with releases such as this. The pocket 4k was a nice upgrade from the original 2.5k but I wont be needing 6k any time soon. Still looking for more DR.

Edit - just noticed the different DR chart on the 6k. Far more balanced distribution., and practically half above and below at 640. I often shoot 1000 on the p4k for this. Especially in high key exteriors. Hmmm....
    Last edited by innerspark; 08-08-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    Steve Lee Jean
    Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

I never bought any of my BM cameras before they were in the wild for a while and the promises of features actually existed.

Some promised made on the original URSA never ever happened.

Fixed pattern noise

Black sun hole.

The URSA Mini as a global shutter and regular camera never happened. You had to buy two cameras.

The SSD adapter is half baked on the URSA mini pro. You can only have one adapter and you can't record at all the same frame rates you can with CFAST cards.

So it's a bit of early adopter beware.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    It's not news to many if not every BMD camera owners that BMD first batch of cameras usually comes with problems -
    Which is why I think we could have done without this thread. The people who are comfortable being early adopters are going to buy and those that aren't will wait. On today of all days we should focus on the postives... of which there are many.

Given what the engineers at Blackmagic have given us I think we shouldn't be negative on day one.

I will definitely buy eventually. I have to scrape together the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    I would image the 4K taught them a few things. And they have ample experience with the Super 35 format so I think the camera’s good.

I’m getting it for sure but not to shoot at 6k. If the 4K mode is full sensor which I imagine then I’m good.
    I expect you'll have to shoot ProRes to get full sensor at 4k.