Thread: Red Komodo - BMPCC competitor?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    All elecronic cameras can have such problems, even Arris or Sonys. I have used 5 different Red cameras and 4 BM ones. Still a small sample, and neither brand was free of troubles.
    But one generally less reliable than the other? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    I imagine the point of Komodo is to be a tough nugget. If that's the case, I'm very interested. Spending $6000 on an Ursa kit seems like the frugal choice, but consider this scenario. Daily use over the course of years. I would expect a bulletproof design (like the red One) is going to last a long time, while I would consider myself lucky if I didn't have issues with a Ursa after a year.
    Errrrr

I’ve got 5 Ursa Mini Pros pushing nearly 3 years of daily use with almost no problems.

RED like making people sign NDAs.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    MFT is an alliance that can be joined if the l mount that Panasonic and sigma are using is also an open alliance format maybe that would be the better route to go?
    The way I understand it L Mount is owned by Leica and is invitation only. Some have already been knocked back.

MFT is a consortium that’s technically owned jointly by Panasonic and Olympus, but is open to anyone joining as long as they play by the MFT rules.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Errrrr

I’ve got 5 Ursa Mini Pros pushing nearly 3 years of daily use with almost no problems.
    Great! You also work on a stage environment. Different battlefield.

On the flipside I just wrapped pp on a feature where the a-cam was an epic m-x from 2011, and b and c cams were red ones from 2009 and 2007, respectively. Their bodies were battered, scratched and dented. They had seen it all. All functioned fine. From what they endured, no blackmagic camera would have survived that long.

I just don’t see the ursa design being durable enough to venture out on location sets for 10 years without issues. Not at all. Same goes for the micro even with a cage. And I would never rent them out if I weren’t the operator.

I rented a URSA Mini 4K from a local rental company to augment the camera we needed last month. The UM4K had a lot of scratches and a dent by the lower read left of the body making me think that it was probably dropped at one point. Not sure if it went back for repair or service but it worked just fine. All this about durability is subjective and any camera can have issues and if handled without care should expect to incur damage.

Great! You also work on a stage environment. Different battlefield.

Really ?

You know where I work huh ?
    On the flipside I just wrapped pp on a feature where the a-cam was an epic m-x from 2011, and b and c cams were red ones from 2009 and 2007, respectively. Their bodies were battered, scratched and dented. They had seen it all. All functioned fine. From what they endured, no blackmagic camera would have survived that long.

Middle of chicago winter. FOX pilot where this was the "A" camera. 80% shot on location.

Not a stage.

IMG_8301.jpg

Middle of Australian outback in a small water hole. Average daily temperature was 43 deg C. The nearest town is a really a gas station about two hours away.
    This was the "A" camera on an Australian network series. Had three bodies with us, shooting with two cameras. No problems here.

Also not a stage.
    IMG_4335.JPG

Tourism Victoria commercial. On location in rural Victoria...ie away from CIVILISATION

Not a stage.
    VA2.jpg
    Queen of the South. Mostly a location based show shot in Dallas.

Not a stage
    02660033low.jpg

My wonderful key grip in Bogota Colombia for Queen of the South.

Definitely not on a stage.
    L1013954.jpg

I can post more, that is just what I could find in 5 mins of looking through photos.

Your "stage" argument doesn't wash. If that's your argument then I think you're really reaching, and not speaking from personal experience.

I've used these cameras in all the same environments I've been lucky enough to work in. Sure, some has been stage, but a lot hasn't.

Let me ask you a question. What is your actual hands on ownership or user experience with Ursa cameras ? A lot of your commentary seems informed by heresay rather than actual use.

My opinion is informed by many thousands of hours of in-field use over many years with all the Ursa variants, all of which I still own and work with, some on stage and some out in the (very) wild. How many hours have you shot with Ursa ?

jb
    Attached Images

Well there you go. I said that based off of times you jumped to the defense of the Ursa in the past, citing your work on shows that were based on sound stages. I'm just going off the information you often provide.

Now we know all the places you've taken your Ursa, and future people can cite that information in their assessments.

I guess you can be the vanguard that builds trust in the Ursa system. Until it has more history, I still don't trust it, and much of the industry feels the same. The 4.6k only came out in 2016. I'd love to see where these units end up in 2025.

I've used an ursa mini twice, and they had issues both times. Since then I've been very skeptical, and a handful of people, no matter how many hours they have with one isn't going to fix that.

Well there you go. I said that based off of times you jumped to the defense of the Ursa in the past, citing your work on shows that were based on sound stages. I'm just going off the information you often provide.
    Well you made a claim about reliability and trustworthiness.

I answered that claim with my own different experience.

Which you then challenged / discounted as being less relevant.

So I happily explain in further detail.

And you then say I used it twice and it didn't work so I don't trust it.

I think that's about the extend of it ?

I've got more horror stories of personal use with RED cameras (and Arri) than I do with BMD cameras.

You've got a different experience.

You say I "jumped to defense". That language is loaded....

Yet you're sledging a camera based off two experiences, which you barely acknowledge and with little detail about what the issue was or it's context. I'm guessing that experience wasn't as a DP on a large show running for many months ? I think those qualification details are important when we're talking about these kinds of issues.

I guess you can be the vanguard that builds trust in the Ursa system.
    Or just simply challenge a claim you made about reliability without qualification, using my own personal experience ? Again, why does it seem to you I have an agenda ?

Until it has more history, I still don't trust it, and much of the industry feels the same. The 4.6k only came out in 2016. I'd love to see where these units end up in 2025.
    I don't think many people are using RED cameras from 2007 today. Qualified media alone is a problem. You're also comparing a camera that costs 4 or fives times the cost without factoring inflation.
    (by the way if you were using a RED from 2007 then it must have been one of the first few made. I was shooting on number thirty something in late december 2007)

I've used an ursa mini twice, and they had issues both times. Since then I've been very skeptical, and a handful of people, no matter how many hours they have with one isn't going to fix that.

I guess. Or maybe on a forum dedicated to active owners and users of that camera system we could share all of our experiences ? I don't really care what the "industry" thinks. I make judgements based on what I test try and use. You did the same and came to a different conclusion.

I've used most of the camera platforms out there. I've got a story for all of them. Usually with pictures and you know...details...

Let's put it back on topic...

I predict RED will make a camera that costs 6K or 7K that really costs 10K to use Z cam style camera, with some functionality that makes hydrogen buyers feel less ripped off, probably using the same 6K /8K sensor that Z cam use...

JB

I said that based off of times you jumped to the defense of the Ursa in the past, citing your work on shows that were based on sound stages. I'm just going off the information you often provide.
    Really dude? EVERYONE knows JB's work is mostly on location. You're clearly reaching here to justify your ridiculous assumption.

Please aware yourself: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1095487/...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Well you made a claim about reliability and trustworthiness.

I answered that claim with my own different experience.

Which you then challenged / discounted as being less relevant.

So I happily explain in further detail.

JB
    JB you gotta just let sleeping dogs lie brother. No use wasting energy trying to prove something with reasoning and facts on here. It's why this forum has gone down the tubes. It's too tiresome.

Now to address the topic at hand...

I really don't get where RED is going. It seems they're scrambling to pull attention away from their media controversy.

Being a tech head/camera geek I'm definitely curious tho.