Thread: Finally a native DNG editing solution for Premiere

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Finally a native DNG editing solution for Premiere 
    Finally there seems to be a native DNG editing solution for Premiere.

I have no idea, about bit depth (Adobes half assed importer only used 8 bit), but anyway, it seems a step in the right direction,
    and the implementation seems pretty simple.

Also this sentence kind a stroke me:

The BMC camera has some special behavior though. The RAW file has a crop size of 2400◊1350 but the original data size is 2432◊1366. However the extra data seems perfectly usable. So by enabling the Ignore Crop parameter you can squeeze out a slightly wider FOV. Itís not much bet every bit helps.

http://19lights.com/wp/tutorials/raw...pper-workflow/

What do you guys think?

Frank

I'm very interested in this, while you can edit in Resolve it's no match for a proper editor and I can do away with Proxies. nice find Frank
    Lee MJ Daley

Cinematographer & Animator

leemjdaley.com
    ikikoi.blog
    @m0fe

It's developments like this that make me think I should get a BMC after it's been out for a while and the third party folks have had a chance to take some of the pain out of RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Finally there seems to be a native DNG editing solution for Premiere.

I have no idea, about bit depth (Adobes half assed importer only used 8 bit), but anyway, it seems a step in the right direction,
    and the implementation seems pretty simple.
    It runs in 32 bit float. And I know because I wrote it. (-:

A few more notes on the latest version:

-The latest version (2013-01-02) can load DNG files in Premiere Pro directly without creating a GNR file first. Please let me know if there are any issues (jhable at 19lights dot com)
    -If your DNG file has frame rate information, it will override what's in the GNR file.
    -Also, the latest version extracts the timecode (Premiere Pro only, not AE)

I've got a question for the group. When you record a DNG sequence, how is the audio stored? It's in a separate WAV, right? When you load the DNG sequence, I'd also like to sync up the audio but I'm not sure of the naming convention.

So how do you adjust the raw parameters? I know when I import a DNG sequence using the DNG importer from Adobe into Premiere the raw parameters window pops up automatically.

So you have the nerve, to hang around here for over 20 posts, and not telling us a word? Gawd Dayuuum!

Just kidding

Thanks for doing this John, and I think I can speak for the rest of the crew here, it's very much appreciated.

Here is, what the naming looks like

NAming.jpg

Wow, if you can use the dng directly it means I can later export the timeline to resolve and don't even have to relink it (like with proxys) but can directly grade the dng's right? If yes then just wow wow wow

Additional question. After Effects loads the dng's so what happens if I say mark 2 clips and regroup then as AfterFX clip? It opens in AfterFX but how? With the Adobe CameraRAW or with Ginger?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Presley View Post
    So how do you adjust the raw parameters? I know when I import a DNG sequence using the DNG importer from Adobe into Premiere the raw parameters window pops up automatically.
    Currently there are no RAW parameters. It's one of those features that I'd like to add, but haven't had time yet.

It's a long discussion. Also, it's a bit of a misconception that a RAW processor "needs" to have a bunch of parameters. The DNG includes all the data that you need to get linear data, and the goal of this plugin is to give you that data as cleanly and accurately as possible, just as if it were an EXR file.

Now, I agree that having importer options is useful from a workflow perspective. I'll be adding it, but it was clearly a lower priority then getting a working importer out the door. There is no difference between adjusting the contrast in the RAW importer vs doing a contrast operation in your grading tools. The one exception is white balance (because it adjusts where the colors get clipped).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    So you have the nerve, to hang around here for over 20 posts, and not telling us a word? Gawd Dayuuum!

Just kidding

Thanks for doing this John, and I think I can speak for the rest of the crew here, it's very much appreciated.
    Thanks! I'll look into it. Are there any WAV files around online? It would help so I can check the format. I'm betting that it's 48000, 2 channel 16bit, but it would help to have a sample file to make sure there are no surprises.

Also, you didn't miss much from the delay. There have been a bunch of versions in different states of brokenness, and the native support (without the GNR file) was only added a few days ago. I generally like to quietly release new features, so that when they break only a few people know about it, and I can fix it before anyone else sees it.